Director State Government Affairs
McKesson Corporation, currently ranked 6th on the FORTUNE 500, delivers pharmaceutical and medical products and business services to retail pharmacies and institutional providers like hospitals and health systems throughout North America and internationally. We also provide specialty pharmaceutical solutions for biotech and pharmaceutical manufacturers, as well as practice management, technology and clinical support to oncology and other specialty practices. Additionally, we deliver a comprehensive offering of healthcare products, technology, equipment and related services to the non-hospital market — including physician offices, surgery centers, long-term care facilities and home healthcare businesses. For more information, visit www.mckesson.com.
Director, State Government Affairs (West Region)
States covered: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming
Open to candidates based in Scottsdale, AZ or Dallas, TX
Proven government affairs professional with ability to analyze a wide variety of healthcare and related business competitiveness issues who can leverage an existing legislative and lobbying network within the region. Responsible for developing and executing legislative, public policy and political strategy in the region to advance broader organizational and business goals. This individual will be responsible for managing state government affairs across all business units, providing sound legislative and regulatory advice, engaging senior leadership in the region, and other activities as directed by the leader of the State Government Affairs function.
Responsibilities will include:
- Planning and execution of government affairs strategy, programs, and activities to support Public Affairs department, state government affairs team, and company objectives
- Analyzing and monitoring proposed legislation, regulations, and administrative actions in region
- Understanding the intersection of McKesson’s businesses and public policy with the goal of effectively identifying legislative, regulatory, and political risks and/or opportunities, which will drive our government relations engagement
- Developing and maintaining relationships with government representatives, regulators, industry groups, customers, thought leaders, and subject matter experts
- Manage/engage with industry trade associations and national intergovernmental organizations
- Managing and driving performance of the region’s government affairs and political consultants
- Developing political development objectives of the McKesson Employee Political Action Committee and company, as allowable in region
- Supporting the advancement of stakeholder engagement programs, including employee engagement, key contacts, and strategic alliances
- Assisting in the development of communications to support state function objectives and departmental communications needs
- Representing the company in public policy discussions, presentations to customers and business units, association and industry meetings, political events, as well as legislative, regulatory and other public forums, as appropriate
- Other duties and responsibilities as directed by the leader of the State Government Affairs function
Minimum of 8 years in government, government relations, or direct lobbying experience at the state level with increasing responsibilities and demonstrated superior communication skills. Corporate and healthcare industry experience a plus.
Additional Knowledge and Skills:
-Thorough understanding of government, legislative, regulatory and political processes
-Exceptional writing and communication skills
-Superb organizational skills; adept at juggling multiple responsibilities
-A demonstrated ability to develop and execute advocacy programs
-A creative and strategic thinker with leadership skills to effectively work with and influence diverse audiences at various management levels
-A self-starter with an ability to work independently while collaborating closely with and remaining connected to a broader team
-Results-oriented with excellent interpersonal skills and good judgment
-Experience navigating complex business structures and successfully supporting and collaborating with business leadership
-Understanding of the healthcare public policy environment preferred
-Ability to reflect and demonstrate McKesson “I CARE” employee principles: integrity, customer-first, accountability, respect and excellence
Bachelor’s degree in political science, communications, health, business or related field required. Graduate degree in a relevant field a plus.
Travel: 50%, as needed throughout the region as well as travel outside the region for industry and intergovernmental affairs meetings.
Job posted: 2019-02-19