Federal Affairs Director
The National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC) currently has an opening for a Federal Affairs Director in its Washington D.C. office. NAMIC is the largest property/casualty insurance company trade association, with nearly 1,400 member companies serving more than 170 million auto, home, and business policyholders.
The Federal Affairs Director will represent NAMIC before Congress and federal agencies on issues impacting p/c insurance companies. The ideal candidate is one who has the ability to work independently, but is also ready and willing to collaborate as part of a team. The candidate will have managed complex assignments and projects and is able to quickly become proficient on issues affecting NAMIC and its members.
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Lobby members of Congress and their staff on legislation on behalf of NAMIC and its member companies;
- Provide analysis on legislative issues of importance and their impact on the property/casualty insurance industry;
- Develop and coordinate issue strategy and communication;
- Draft congressional testimony, issue papers, weekly and monthly periodicals, grassroots letters, Legislative and Executive Branch communications, membership issue alerts, updates and presentations;
- Monitor, attend and report on hearings;
- Update and educate association membership and decision makers;
- Work as part of the broader federal legislative team in advancing priority issues;
- Work closely with NAMIC standing committees and task forces to identify priorities and develop public policy positions;
- Assist and support member company representatives during customized fly-in program;
- Represent NAMIC at political fundraisers and events;
- Build and maintain relations with elected officials and staff, industry partners and coalitions and other related thought leaders; and
- Work with other public policy groups to identify priorities and development positions that support NAMIC’s objectives.
Qualifications of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience on Capitol Hill or the equivalent in the private sector.
- Familiarity with House Financial Services Committee jurisdiction and members preferred.
- Understanding of property/casualty insurance issues a plus.
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills a must.
- Ability to attend after hours events and travel as required.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
NAMIC is a growing organization that has been advocating for a strong and vibrant insurance industry since its inception in 1895. This position includes a competitive compensation and benefits package. Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter that includes salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NAMIC is an equal opportunity employer. To learn more, go to www.namic.org
Job posted: 2019-04-29