Federal Affairs Manager
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), a membership organization dedicated to the advancement of women’s health care in Washington, DC, is currently seeking a Federal Affairs Manager to advance ACOG’s women’s health policy priorities and be responsive to ACOG fellow needs by influencing, advising and consulting with Members of Congress and their staff, Federal agencies, Medical Societies, and other Health organizations.
- Works closely with the Government Affairs team to develop lobbying priorities, strategies, and activities on Capitol Hill.
- Works with the Government Affairs team to develop legislative materials for distribution to Congress and the Administration.
- Lobbies and educates Members of Congress and federal agency officials on women’s health care issues such as maternal mortality, quality improvement initiatives, imaging, vaccines, research, health disparities, birth defects, health information technology, appropriations/budget, and other issues specific to ACOG policies and positions.
- Drafts legislation, testimony, legislative support letters, action alerts, talking points, memos, advisory committee nomination letters, fact sheets, and other materials as necessary.
- Stays abreast of women’s health care issues in the interest of ACOG.
- Works closely with other relevant ACOG Departments and Divisions such as Practice, Advocacy, and Fellowship Activities to analyze and respond to legislative and regulatory activities.
- Attends fundraisers and participates in PAC giving strategy.
- Develops and attends congressional hearings, briefings and meetings.
- Represents ACOG and the Government Affairs department in several national coalitions.
- Reviews periodicals, the Federal Register, congressional committee activities, Administration activities, grant opportunities, advisory committee opportunities, and other items of relevance daily.
- Organizes sessions and prepares materials for the Congressional Leadership Conference, Government Relations Committee Meetings, and Ob-Gyn PAC Governing Committee Meetings.
- Works with the ACOG Government Affairs team to develop grassroots and grasstops initiatives to further legislative priorities.
- Writes legislative listserv articles.
- Conducts other tasks as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, and 3-5 years of related experience, ideally on Capitol Hill or in a lobbying role.
- Knowledge and understanding of the legislative and regulatory process.
- Must have previous experience in lobbying, health care, membership advocacy, or Hill experience.
- Strong writing, communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects.
- Must be able to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers and ACOG physicians; tact, diplomacy, and good judgment are necessary.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing daily activities and schedules.
- Interest in women’s health issues and congressional advocacy required.
All interested applicants, please submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
Home to more than 58,000 women’s health care professionals, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) is a membership organization leading advancements in women’s health. When you become part of the ACOG team, you’re part of an organization that values communicating evidence-based, peer-reviewed information about women’s health to members and the general public. ACOG supports its members by maintaining authoritative clinical guidance, providing continuing medical education resources, patient education materials and more. Together with our members, we are working to transform the future of women’s health by delivering a compelling member experience, supporting the ob-gyn profession, and advocating for improved women’s health.
Parental Leave – Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace – Work/Life Design (i.e. flexible work schedule) – Commuting Allowance – Generous Paid
Time Off – Holiday Pay – Community Volunteering Opportunities – Generous 401(k) Company Contributions – Health Insurance – Learning Opportunities and Tuition Reimbursement – Company-Sponsored Team Outings
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-12-12