Federal Policy Manager
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a qualified policy manager for its federal policy program. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive organization.
ACEEE seeks a federal policy manager to lead our federal policy outreach activities and help define the organization’s strategic direction on federal policy. The federal policy manager acts as the primary liaison with Congress and with other federal policy stakeholders (e.g., efficiency and business groups). The manager participates in crosscutting internal policy development and planning and works with all ACEEE technical and policy programs on federal policy strategy and implementation. The federal policy manager works closely with the senior policy advisor as ACEEE’s federal policy team.
The core responsibilities of the position include:
- Leading and managing federal policy relations and coordinating all ACEEE’s externally facing federal policy activities
- Developing advocacy strategies for federal policy proposals
- Building ACEEE’s relationships with congressional offices and serving as the primary lobbyist and point of contact with congressional staff
- Representing ACEEE in advocacy coalitions and building relationships with other stakeholders and federal agencies
The manager will lead efforts to enact ACEEE federal policy priorities, help lead policy coalitions, research and write policy documents, work with ACEEE experts to develop new policy initiatives, and engage with funders including ACEEE Allies.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Broad knowledge of federal energy policy
- Familiarity with Congress, the legislative process, regulatory procedures, and advocacy techniques
- Ability to build coalitions and lead issue advocacy campaigns
- Ability to understand energy efficiency research and analysis and develop policy proposals
- Outstanding skill in communicating complicated policy issues verbally and in writing
- Superb interpersonal skills and ability to engage with diverse external stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to take initiative, work independently, and manage several projects simultaneously
- Advanced degree in policy analysis or administration, energy, environmental studies, or law, or equivalent experience
- At least five years of relevant experience, with a demonstrated network and record of success
- Experience with federal energy efficiency policies
- Experience with issue advocacy and developing and managing coalitions
- Experience doing qualitative and quantitative policy analysis
Location: Based in Washington, DC
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $73,051 – $109,577. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample by May 15, 2020 to email@example.com and use “Federal Policy Manager” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.
Job posted: 2020-04-29