Government Affairs Dir
Careers that Change Lives
We’re a mission-driven leader in medical technology and solutions with a legacy of integrity and innovation, join us as a Government Affairs Leader. Today access of therapies and its solutions is a key barrier in the sub-continent. This role will influence stakeholders in the Government and Regulatory agencies and provide the necessary inputs for quicker adaptation and availability of cutting-edge remedies for management of chronic disease.
Be a part of a community of experts committed to ensuring quality, affordable healthcare worldwide.
Come strengthen your specialized skills and enhance your expertise. Together, we can confront the challenges that will change the face of healthcare.
Join us for a career that changes lives.
A Day in the Life
As a Government Affairs Leader your focus would be to remove the barriers relating to access for our Products and Therapies in the sub-continent. You would work with a plethora of stakeholders internally and externally and provide the necessary inputs for quicker adaptation and availability of cutting-edge remedies for management of chronic disease. Another key responsibility in this career stream is managing people, which includes: accountability for mentoring, developing and coaching staff on meeting/exceeding performance expectations and defined objectives, providing leadership to staff ensuring the prioritization of strategic and department level initiatives to include defining performance goals and targets, conducting performance reviews, and staff 1:1s to guide performance management and employee development efforts and manage toward departmental goals.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties as assigned:
Lead and develop the Government Affairs Function
Create a GA Strategy to create and appropriate environment and shape / explore PPP opportunities.
Influence medical device and Health Care policy across all major levels of the health system
in India to optimize patient access to innovative devices.
Develop strong relationships with senior healthcare bureaucrats across the region in order to bridge the medical & administrative gap.
Advocate to key policy makers and present the relevant economic, relevant product and therapy value information to help to create an optimal business environment
Handle various issues related to pricing, marketing, regulatory, finance, taxation, import etc.;
Provide inputs and influence policy/ regulatory legislations, which affect the Company’s business.
- Develop Medtronic India Subcontinent influence and participation in Public Private Partnerships by working with the Government by generating demand for our therapies and solutions.
- Establish working relationships with relatedprofessional organizations, trade party associations and other key third parties to influence outcomes of critical market access issues
- Anticipateand highlight the impending developments in the Government that may impact Medtronic. Effectively address issues, formulate strategies & consult with appropriate business and corporate personnel in providing recommendations for the formation of action plans
- Develop strategic alliances with medical, government and industry partners to leverage influence.Drive medical device policy through active Participation in Industry Associations and related forum.
- Build,establish and coordinate relationships with key Ministries/ Organizations (Central and State) and use these to the benefit of the organization. She / He will also work closely and network with key functionaries in the Government Commerce & Industry, Finance, Health, Pharmaceuticals, External affairs, Corporate Affairs, Science & Technology, Labour etc.
- Assist in the establishment of corporate strategies, policies and plans, which align with government laws, regulations and standards.
- Help in building a positive image of Company & represent Medtronic’s business and work extensively with Industry Groups and Associations, including providing inputs and direction to proactive/ reactive responses by Associations/ Chambers to Industry issues, policy development etc.
- Work directly with Business leadership to implement business strategies in response to legislative/regulatory challenges and opportunities.Works in a collaborative and integrated fashion with business-unit leaders to deliver value.
- Work closely with the BU Heads and on their behalf, addresses their issues with various Ministries/organizations in the Government (Central & State).
- Analyze and track legislative, regulatory and health policy issues relating to corporate interests.
- PromoteMedtronic as a leading Medical Devices company that can be a trusted partner with key Government officials / Bureaucrats, Payor , Patient advocacy groups, Medical and Business organizations that have major influence in the development of healthcare policy
- Develop, design, and deliver on health economic modeling/simulation projects such as cost effectiveness, budget impact, etc. to support the treatment value proposition for the payer and health systems. Develop presentations, abstracts/publications and other materials to articulate and disseminate this evidence.
- Obtain latest market trends, market shares and supports strategic planning process with the businesses with the analysis and market insights.
- Collaboratewith regional Market Access teams to develop and implement key components of the reimbursement and market access strategy
- Communicate complicated matters in a simple, structured way to internal and external Customers
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
A post-graduation in Management / Economics with bachelor’s degree in life sciences will be preferred, with minimum of 15 years of relevant experience with 8+ years of managerial experience. Progressively responsible experience in a senior level management role; experience in executive communications.
- Strong business acumen, analytical skills and experience working with various internal business partners (especially Sales, Marketing, Clinical, Regulatory, Legal, and Government Affairs staff) Influence management skills and ability to work effectively in a matrixed organization and between competing organizations.
- Understanding of key public and private payer policy infrastructure, payment methodologies coding and coverage; health policy trends, and current business challenges to provide insight into key market access issues.
- Previous experience in or strong working knowledge of medical device industry, especially with functional responsibility in health economics and reimbursement planning and program implementation.
- Experience working with customers (payers, hospitals and physicians), trade associations, professional and medical organizations and ability to develop mutually beneficial health economics and reimbursement strategies and tactics to support portfolio planning, commercialization, and sales/marketing objectives.
- Strong skills to dissect complex range of public issues and assess impact on Medtronic
- Experience in progressively responsible positions in the area of Government Affairs ideally with some healthcare industry related exposure
- Partnership with MD/ Leadership team
- Working in a highly matrix organization & Influence Management
- A high degree of strategic thinking, decision making, and tactical skill is required to develop broad strategy and policy, options and recommendations to address issues expeditiously
- Bring executive maturity to influence and contribute meaningfully to the Government Affairs function
- Excellent analytical writing and persuasive skills to develop and convey strategies, policies and action plan.
- Outstanding communication, presentation and influencing skills and competencies combined with strong social networking skills are essential for the role.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-28