Government Affairs Director
Represents the company on federal legislative affairs with elected officials and government officials in regulatory and other agencies and their respective staffs. Ensures company’s product line is reflected to best advantage and lobbying activities are successfully pursued. Monitors progress of legislative and regulatory issues of interest to the company and provides analysis to company official. Develops strategy for and visits elected government and regulatory officials to advise them of company issues. Works with designated trade and business associations on political, legislative and regulatory issues of importance to the company.
Has expertise or unique knowledge used to contribute to or develop company objectives and resolutions to critical issues or design matters. Considered a subject matter expert. Works on issues that impact future concepts, products, or technologies. Uses independent judgement to determine methods, techniques, and procedures to obtain results. May direct activities of other employees. Creates formal networks involving coordination among groups, with some involving key decision makers.
Responsible for maintaining and continuously improving the quality system and achieving quality objectives through daily actions.
Federal Legislative Activities
- Lead Federal lobbying activities on matters impacting Roche
- Develop lobbying strategies and communicate positions to support RDC and affiliate business objectives before Congress and the Executive Branch
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with federal stakeholders
- Participate in political events and PAC fundraiser events on behalf of RDC, RDCI and affiliates
Federal Public Policy
- Monitor, analyze and communicate key health policy matters effecting RDC, RDCI and affiliates
- Work with key business areas to provide an understanding of how legislation could impact the company
- Develop innovative proposals to positively affect federal policy and the Roche organization
- Lead efforts to shape Federal policy at Roche’s trade associations and lobbying collisions
- Assist in the development of policy strategies to improve the business environment for diagnostics
- Lead Federal lobbying efforts that aligns with Roche business priorities
- Manage and execute high-level projects regarding approved RDC federal health policy positions
- Drive approved RDC and affiliate policy positions through leadership roles in various trade organizations, (e.g. AdvaMed, ACLA, BIO), ad hoc industry coalitions and other public health policy forums
- Serve as an internal resource and advocate for Federal public policy
- Support and promote the RDC culture, is accountable and demonstrates strong personal leadership
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in political or physical science
- 5 years experience as industry lobbyist, senior legislative aide, or regulator.
- 5 years experience in medical device, biologics or pharmaceutical industry at the state or federal level
- Five to ten (5-10) years’ work experience in health policy environment, payer and/or key government agencies or Congressional
- Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree (e.g., JD, MBA) strongly preferred
- Advanced understanding of health care, public policy and government/public affairs
- Detailed knowledge of applicable health care legislation (e.g., Social Security Act)
- Ability to think strategically and provide big picture summaries of complex issues
- Knowledge and ability to conduct and/or design applicable quantitative analyses
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
Job posted: 2020-05-13