Government Affairs Manager
Position Overview: Main Street Alliance (501(c)(3)) and Main Street Alliance Action Fund (501(c)(4)) are seeking a Government Affairs Manager to manage the Main Street Alliance/Action Fund’s public policy engagement on a variety of national and state level economic and social policy issues.
About Main Street Alliance: Main Street Alliance is a national network of state-based small business coalitions working to elevate the voices of small business owners on issues that impact their businesses, their employees, and the communities that they serve. Founded in 2008 to ensure that small business owners voices were heard in the campaign to win affordable health care, Main Street Alliance now works on a range of issues in cities and states across the country. Our policy agenda includes job quality issues like paid family & medical leave and earned sick and safe time, access to credit, health care, immigration and tax and budget fairness. We are led by a diverse group of small business owners at the state and national levels.
- Policy platform development. Work together with MSA national and state teams to develop the strategy and platform where the small business voice can best help build a robust Main Street Economy that sustains our communities — instead of extracting from them.
- Relationship development and management. Develop and maintain relationships with the key partners and stakeholders necessary to advance MSA’s strategy and work. Partners and stakeholders include coalition partners, policy experts, public officials and their staff members.
- Track federal and state level legislation. Provide analysis of federal legislative opportunities to advance our platform & strategy and regular and timely updates on legislation to MSA national team, state affiliates, leaders and members .
- Policy research and analysis. Research relevant policy issues, their unique impact on small business owners, their employees, and the communities that they serve; provide strong critical analysis to help guide the MSA team in developing the small business case in our campaign work at the national and state level.
- Lobbying and engagement with decision-makers, partners, public officials and state at the national level, .
- Writing. Draft policy papers, position statements, testimony, member stories, fact sheets and other policy documents to support the work of the MSA national team and MSA chapters and affiliates.
- Make no small plans. But do make well-written ones. Work with team to develop monthly (and longer-term) work plans to drive work forward.
- Look to the long-term. Push every campaign to address not just the short-term gains but how they interact with Main Street Alliance’s long-term goals.
- Build deep trust. Invest in relationships with members, leaders and staff in order to deeply understand their self-interest.
- Be inclusive. Recognize and appreciate different ways of working and being.
- Be proactive. Ask questions. Look for new ways to engage. Take ownership of your work and bring ideas to the table.
- Masters Degree in public policy, sociology, economics, economic development, government affairs or equivalent to 3 years experience working in public policy organization focused on job quality, taxation & budgets, economic development, health care, or a related field.
- Deep commitment to a vision of racial, social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice of small business owners.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work within immigrant communities and communities of color.
- Project management experience or experience supervising research staff and/or interns.
- Lobbying or government affairs experience.
- Existing DC policy and legislative relationships and familiarity with legislative process.
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative analysis and familiarity with policy research tools and resources.
- Sense of humor & desire to help build a strong, growing organization of progressive business owners working to change the conversation about what is good for business.
- Self-starter, able to work independently as well as in a team; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Direct experience working and communicating with business owners a plus.
- Ability to speak Spanish or other languages a plus.
Salary and Benefits
Salary: $72,000 – $92,000, depending on experience. Our competitive benefits package includes family medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with 3% employer contribution after six months of employment; flexible spending account; life insurance; and paid time off at the end of December in addition to paid vacation.
Send a pdf of cover letter, resume, writing sample and salary requirements to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org with “Government Affairs Manager” in the subject line. Visit our website to learn more about us at mainstreetalliance.org.
Position is open until filled.
We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our organizing team! Main Street Alliance is committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced organizers and activists of all backgrounds, to apply.
Job posted: 2019-05-15