New York State Society of CPAs (NYSSCPA)
New York, NY
Our professional membership association for certified public accountants is looking for a Government Affairs Manager to oversee all communications and public outreach for the New York State Society of CPAs (NYSSCPA) Government Affairs Initiatives and Governance Communications. This position reports to the General Counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement Government Affairs Communications program, including the launch and promotion of the NYSSCPA’s Key Contact Program to NYSSCPA membership.
- Develop and implement innovative and creative communications programs designed to position the advocacy initiatives of the Society and the profession.
- Develop and execute strategies for legislative media exposure working in conjunction with the General Counsel and the Media Relations Manager, including drafting talking points, op-eds and coordinating PAC, and developing PAC and Government Affairs marketing and communications materials.
- Develop, schedule speakers and promote chapter fundraising events that support the PAC. Maintain PAC merchandise and inventory.
- Draft and revise all agendas and minutes for PAC and Legislative Task Force (LTF) meetings.
- Coordinate with contract lobbyists. File all lobbying reports. Plan and attend fundraising events. Assist in planning of Annual Governance Forum.
- Develop and schedule lobby days for member participation with legislators in Albany.
- Create and evaluate strategies to improve the effectiveness of print-based and online advocacy communications campaigns.
- Convert complex and/or technical material into clear, concise, and reader friendly formats.
- Develop interactive features, such as polls, to gauge opinion on site features and current issues affecting the profession.
- Help develop the NYSSCPA legislative agenda in conjunction with leadership.
- Stay informed on issues in other states and with the AICPA that might have implications for NY’s legislative agenda.
- Maintain relationship with the state board, Regents, State Education Department (SED) as appropriate.
- Actively monitor the legislative environment for issues that might impact the profession in NY.
- Produce and disseminate the NYSSCPA’s NYS and Federal Legislative Alert e-newsletters on a quarterly basis.
- Provide staff support to one or more Society committees. Staff support includes facilitating the creation of timely meeting agendas by committee chairs, attending meetings and taking minutes, writing articles for Society publications regarding newsworthy matters of interest discussed at committee meetings, and additional support as needed.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Exceptional writing and communications skills.
- Ability to anticipate public events that can be used to advance the NYSSCPA’s advocacy initiatives.
- Ability to think strategically and respond quickly to developing issues that require a Society response.
- Ability to work independently and set priorities while exercising flexibility, initiative and self-motivation.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
The New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants is an equal-opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries, professional growth opportunities, and a comprehensive selection of benefits. Salary for this position is commensurate with experience. If interested in applying for this position, please send cover letter and resume and include ”Government Affairs Manager” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Job Posted: September 2, 2017