Government Affairs Manager
The world’s largest non-profit photographic association is seeking a highly motivated, proactive, and creative Government Affairs Manager. We are looking for that special someone who wants to be part of the team and contribute to our continuing success. Here at Professional Photographers of America, we work hard and get the job done in an environment that promotes teamwork, creativity, and professionalism.
This position is responsible for managing PPA’s government affairs efforts and facilitating the execution of the association’s advocacy efforts which relate to intellectual property protection and small business issues. The position requires a strong ability to analyze legislation and policy as well as related writing skills. This position also requires strong customer service skills including handling phone calls and emails from members related to PPA’s advocacy efforts. Work with third party to help arrange appointments on Capitol Hill. Arrange special events and meetings related to advocacy efforts. Serve as a lobbyist for the association. Increase the involvement and awareness of PPA and its members in the copyright protection and government affairs arena.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Facilitate the execution of day-to-day advocacy and government affairs efforts of PPA.
• Act as the primary contact for member inquiries about advocacy positions and efforts.
• Generate all reports in support of the Government Affairs Department. This includes policy and legislative position papers, responses to Notices of Inquiry and Notices of Proposed Rulemaking, and presentation materials.
• Analyze and report on proposed legislation and regulations affecting the photographic industry.
• Work with a third party to coordinate all appointments with individuals of influence in the area of Copyright/Government Affairs. These individuals may include Congressional staffers, United States Senators, members of the House of Representatives, Government Executives and Association Executives.
• Serve as a lobbyist for PPA during appointments described above.
• Collaborate with advocacy representatives from other associations to pursue joint-goals.
• Investigate and maintain copyright-related and small business educational material (I.e. sample model releases, contracts, and licensing agreements)
• Develop photographer guides on various copyright and governmental issues for publication.
• Monitor our website to ensure copyright and government affairs information is accurate and up-to-date.
• Develop copyright protection oriented materials for publications from PPA and other sources in the industry.
• Work to expand retailer, public and legislative awareness of copyright issues.
• Provide oversight and support to PPA’s Indemnification Trust by working with members, customer service and PPA’s legal counsel.
• Develop and maintain manual and computerized filing systems for department records, correspondence, and budget expenditures.
• Prepare vouchers and expense reports for payment and monitors expenses against budget. May estimate future expenditures and assist in budget process.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: 4-year College Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Political Science, Prelaw, or a related field is preferred. 1 to 2 years of government relations experience. Knowledge and experience related to intellectual property (and specifically copyright) issues is preferred.
SKILL SET: Highly organized to work independently and as a team player, with excellent follow up skills. Strong communication skills with a highly focused attention to detail. Strong sense of professionalism with excellent communication skills. Ability to multitask and prioritize deadlines/projects. Strong customer service skills. Proactive attitude– anticipates needs, problems, and opportunities. Must be computer literate (Microsoft Suite), as well as have the ability to learn and utilize in-house industry specific software applications. Ability to work with a sense of urgency, in a fast-paced work environment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds without the assistance of another person. Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What Is PPA?
More photographers get into the industry every day, but few know how to profitably run a business and many don’t know where to turn for support. That’s why Professional Photographers of America (or PPA) was started back in 1869, and that’s why we exist today.
Created and led by professional photographers, PPA is a non-profit international association that helps those serious about photography live their dreams profitably.
To do that, we –
• Lead the way in educating photographers on business and technical skills to help them grow and succeed beyond what they believed possible.
• Connect photographers with other great minds in the industry—via online and live classes, consultations and conventions—to spread best practices, new ideas and strong networks of support.
• Protect photographers’ livelihoods with benefits, such as copyright advocacy, malpractice protection and equipment insurance.
PPA has also worked very hard to create an exceptional team of 45 employees with non-traditional benefits. Yes we offer a competitive salary and excellent employee benefits program; health and dental insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off, etc. We also offer a performance-based annual bonus, year-round casual dress code, gym membership benefits, a fantastic summer hours program, plus, the biggest thing of all: we have a lot of fun.
Over 30,000 pro photographers rely on PPA now, and we are always looking for and investing in new ways to provide the resources and support they need. Sound like a mission you want to be a part of? Then we want to meet you!
To apply, please submit your resume with cover letter and salary history to Hrmanager@ppa.com.
Job posted: 2019-02-28