Government Relations Associate
Our client, a leader in helping philanthropic organizations in doing their best to advance the common good, is searching for a Government Relations Associate to join their team. To be considered, please submit a cover letter with your application.
The Government Relations Associate will support the Government Affairs team in its effort to build relationships with key Congressional lawmakers to further policy that supports the philanthropic sector and will work with the organization’s members to help them to be more effective in public policy and advocacy. Major responsibilities include: supporting the work of the entire staff team and management of the organization’s digital congressional management programs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Serves as key staff support to the Director, Government Relations and the Vice President, Government Affairs and Strategic Communications
- Serves as the key staff contact to connect organization members with members of Congress
- Tracks policy-related news, publications, & other commentary from a variety of sources and disseminate information to the Government Relations and Communications team members identifying impact on the charitable sector
- Assists the Director of Government Affairs in monitoring legislation and congressional actions of legislation of interest to the organization and its members
- Participates in planning and logistics for department and organizational events designed to increase the advocacy skills of organization members and their knowledge of important public policies
- Assists in research and develops materials for organization projects and communications, including weekly briefs to organization members, regular communication to targeted congressional staff, organization member story boards and story-telling database, and any other communiques deemed beneficial
- Maintains departmental data bases, congressional management tools, and other digital tools that assist the Government Affairs team
- Provides general support, including administrative and logistical, as necessary
- Exercises discretion and good judgment in the responsibilities associated with managing job function; works cooperatively, respectfully, and collaboratively with other employees; functions as a team player; and participates actively with his/her supervisor in improving job performance
- 2-3 years of substantive experience in government relations or public policy work
- Online advocacy programs experience preferred, demonstrated ability to learn acceptable
- Familiarity with how to interact with Congressional staff and law-making processes
- Familiarity with the Tax Code and Treasury Regulations processes preferred
- Broad understanding of the charitable sector is preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills required
- Ability to organize assigned tasks and execute them with excellent customer service
- Experience networking across sectors preferred
This organization offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
For immediate consideration, please contact Liz Smith at email@example.com (843) 834-2921 or Mia Chisholm at firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 996-9275.
Job posted: 2020-05-14