Government Relations Director
The Government & Industry Relations (GIR) Director is a key senior member of the Government & Industry Relations Team, which is responsible for ensuring that Congress, industry and housing groups, and other key stakeholders understand and value how Freddie Mac is fulfilling its mission, protecting taxpayers, supporting lenders of all sizes, and providing safe and affordable housing for homeowners and renters. This role provides key strategic guidance and analysis on policy issues, including advising senior leadership and the business lines on reputational risk issues.Your Work Falls into Three Primary Categories:
- Demonstrate strong subject matter expertise on policies and legislative matters related to housing finance.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the company’s corporate priorities and policies.
- Lead GIR’s business unit interactions on a set of issues. Evaluate various business and other initiatives the company is considering and provide strategic guidance where appropriate.
- Analyze, understand and translate complex policy issues and communicate such issues effectively, both written and orally, to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Assess reputation risk associated with Freddie Mac’s business and other initiatives.
- Support GIR ad hoc initiatives.
- Develop and execute meaningful strategic engagement with a portfolio of organizations within the housing finance industry for the company.
- Build and maintain trusted relationships with key stakeholders.
- Serve as a corporate resource regarding external stakeholder interests in or concerns with Freddie Mac business and policies.
- Represent Freddie Mac at external facing events, including industry meetings and conferences. This may include direct speaking engagements or helping to identify Freddie Mac experts for such engagements.
- Prepare Freddie Mac’s response to business policy and other inquiries from Congress and the industry, in coordination with FHFA and working with internal departments to ensure responses are timely and accurate.
- Stay well-informed of key developments in the external environment pertaining to the housing finance system, agencies, and regulators (e.g. legislation, administrative action, industry priorities, and interests).
- Provide expert analysis to senior management and subject matter experts on reputational and other issues relevant to company and recommend strategies where appropriate.
- Ensure appropriate and timely circulation of key external developments to senior leadership and relevant business areas.
- 12+ years of experience in government relations, policy, and industry relations
- Bachelor’s degree; Advance Degree strongly preferred
- Extensive legislative and policy analysis experience
- Strong knowledge of the housing finance industry
- Exemplary written, oral, and interpersonal skills; ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs to a wide variety of audiences
- Demonstrated ability to build trusted relationships at all levels both internally and externally
- Proven ability to organize and lead a team on a project, including setting clear direction and driving synergistic and collaborative behavior
- Strong executive presence; proven ability to navigate highly complex and sensitive issues while maintaining relationships
- Innovative problem solving and negotiating skills
- Strong communication skills, legislative expertise, and policy analysis are critical; writing sample required
- Intellectual agility and interpersonal flexibility
- Strong relationship-building skills
- Excitement at digging into new business and policy challenges and helping to devise solutions
- Experience working in or around a regulated industry; a deep appreciation for the impact of policy outcomes on business results
- Ability to work with and collaborate across various teams, and where silos exist
Today, Freddie Mac makes home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. Join our smart, creative and dedicated team and you’ll do important work for the housing finance system and make a difference in the lives of others. Freddie Mac is an equal opportunity and top diversity employer. EOE, M/F/D/V.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-22