American Heart Association
Oklahoma City, OK
ARE YOU READY TO JOIN AN ORGANIZATION WHERE YOU CAN MAKE AN EXTRAORDINARY IMPACT EVERYDAY?
Imagine all Americans enjoying ideal cardiovascular health free of heart disease and stroke. At the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association, we get to work toward that goal every day. Is it easy? No. Is it worthwhile? Absolutely.
The American Heart Association (AHA) has an excellent opportunity for a GOVERNMENT RELATIONS DIRECTOR, OKLAHOMA IN OKLAHOMA CITY, OK. This position is responsible for developing and executing strategic plans for issue-based policy campaigns across the state of Oklahoma. In particular, he or she serves as the lead for stakeholder and decision-maker relationship building with a portfolio focus on AHA/ASA public policy issues, such as obesity prevention, tobacco control, and systems of care. He or she is a skilled organizer with experience in volunteer management, coalition building, and campaign planning, as well as having a strong interest in public health policy. He or she serves as a staff lobbyist for the AHA/ASA, with a focus on state policy and reports to the Senior Director of State Policy Initiatives. The GOVERNMENT RELATIONS DIRECTOR, OKLAHOMA MUST RESIDE IN THE OKLAHOMA CITY AREA.
Senior Director of State Policy Initiatives
- Serve as lead campaign manager for several issue-based policy campaigns.
- Represent the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association before decision-making bodies, including but not limited to providing testimony at public meetings, meeting with legislators and staff, providing letters of support and direct lobbying of key decision makers.
- Manage all aspects of portfolio’s strategic campaign plans, including budget, media and grassroots strategy.
- Oversee execution of portfolio’s grassroots tactics in conjunction with the Affiliate Grassroots Director.
- Serve as campaign liaison to several statewide and national partner organizations.
- This person will adhere to American Heart Association policies and reporting of lobbying, advocacy, ethics reporting, as well as campaign guidelines.
- He or she will successfully pass statewide and local policies that further the mission of the American Heart Association and defeat those that would hinder our mission.
- He or she will generate all reports necessary to update the American Heart Association and its partners on the status of issue-based policy campaigns.
Stakeholder and Community Engagement
- Cultivate relationships with stakeholders and community organizations.
- Recruit state and local community and civic leaders, as well as members of priority populations to participate in policy campaigns.
- Work with coalition partners to identify new opportunities to collaborate with state and local agencies, public health officials, business leaders, universities, and community-based organizations to promote campaign’s goals.
- Identify strategic alliances with local, state and federal public officials, organizations, corporations, and the regulatory agencies.
- Serve as the American Heart Association’s liaison to existing coalitions and community partnerships.
- This person will lead efforts to engage stakeholders, coalition members, and volunteers.
- He or she will successfully sustain coalition representation that furthers the mission and policy agenda of the American Heart Association.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Director of State Policy Initiatives and Vice President of Government Relations.
WANT TO HELP GET YOUR RESUME TO THE TOP? TAKE A LOOK AT THE EXPERIENCE WE REQUIRE:
- Bachelor’s in Political Science, Communications, Public Affairs or related degree preferred
- A minimum of 5 years work experience in government relations or a related field
- A minimum of 3 years of volunteer management experience
- Ability to travel at least 25% of work time across Oklahoma and the country
- Experience with strategic campaign planning practices, preference for training in the Midwest Academy model
- Experience with key leaders, state and local government processes, community groups and influencers
- Experience with coalition development and management
- Experience managing group and individual dynamics
- Experience persuading and motivating stakeholders
- Ability to function independently with minimal supervision
- High attention to detail
- Multi-tasking ability and the proven ability to meet deadlines on a consistent basis
- Ability to work in a team environment and interact with all levels of American Heart Association staff, volunteers, and the public
- Proven experience and willingness to work in an atmosphere requiring flexibility and change
- Ability to transport materials and other supplies to and from meetings and events
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and, as needed, outside standard business hours
- Ability to work evenings/weekends and travel when necessary
- Expertise in creating documents in MS Office Suite
- Must pass Criminal, Credit and DMV background checks
Attracting talented, committed employees means offering a competitive benefits package, ongoing professional development and training, and a diverse and inclusive environment in which to work and grow. And we do.
So, are you ready to work for the largest voluntary health organization dedicated to fighting heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases? Click on “New Resume” (or “Existing Resume” if you have previously applied to AHA positions) to submit your online application. Only those candidates deemed most qualified by the hiring manager will be contacted to interview.
AT AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION | AMERICAN STROKE ASSOCIATION, DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY APPLIES TO BOTH OUR WORKFORCE AND THE COMMUNITIES WE SERVE AS IT RELATES TO HEART HEALTH AND STROKE PREVENTION.
Be sure to connect with us to see what it is like to work for the American Heart Association and why so many people #ExploreAHA and stay connected with what we do! You can also click here at http://www.heart.org/careers to see other opportunities with the American Heart Association.
Job Posted: September 1, 2017