Government Relations Lead
Be a part of the team that is transforming the power industry of northern and eastern Maine.
Versant Power is building on our 100-year history of delivering efficient, safe and reliable electricity service to customers
in northern and eastern Maine. We never lose sight of safety, quality, integrity and innovation.
We are committed to our dedicated people, who inspire us every day to deliver something more powerful than power
This position is responsible for the development and implementation of the Company’s governmental and legislative relations strategy. This position provides ongoing leadership in developing strong constituent relations to ensure highly productive relationships and partnerships for the benefit of the Company. This position will continuously assess the ever-changing government environment to develop and adjust policies to maintain a viable fit to the company’s near and long-term strategies.
- Establishes legislative strategy and in concert with Executive Leadership Team, lead the annual objective setting process to support execution of Versant Power’s key business objectives as it relates to governmental relations.
- Facilitates the development and periodic review of the Company’s government relations strategy and oversee its implementation, coordinating the involvement of other leaders throughout the business as needed.
- Builds and fosters relationships with local officials, state and federal legislators, government officials, key customers, business leaders, and key stakeholders to exchange ideas and information for the purpose of achieving mutual objectives.
- Facilitates effective relationships of governmental officials with key internal leaders.
- Directs and takes a lead role in preparation and coordination of policy analysis for regulatory and governmental issues, providing recommendations in support of state and federal legislative initiatives that impact the utility industry.
- Directs and coordinates the work of the Company’s lobbyists in Augusta.
- Routinely interacts with senior officers, department heads and staff throughout the organization for the purpose of preparing testimony on state and federal bills.
- Coordinates government relations efforts with the ENMAX enterprise.
- Provide periodic updates on legislative issues to company officers, business units/departments, and Board of Directors.
- Develops and controls the role’s budget for labor and other O&M expenses.
- Must be a respected leader capable of leading project teams and following through on implementation.
- High level of initiative and ability to work well within a team and to marshal resources (professional staff, legal counsel, consultants, etc.) as necessary to develop and maintain support for government policy.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with outside groups such as the public utility commission staff, legislators, governor’s office, and industry associations.
- Ability to analyze public policy for its effect on the company’s operations and its business environment.
- Active and visible participation in safety and wellness programming is part of this accountability.
- Performs other related duties as assigned including designated duties during a System Emergency.
REQUIRED OR PREFERRED EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Minimum of five years of experience, preferably in a communications or public relations leadership role.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and respond to evolving political and business environments.
- Demonstrated ability to translate the vision and values of the organization into an effective business brand.
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross functional teams.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, including public speaking.
- Position requires a valid driver’s license
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Position is primarily sedentary, with standing, walking and driving.
- Position requires significant reading, writing, and speaking.
- Position requires a significant amount of time using a personal computer.
- Position requires extensive travel within the service territory and state and occasional out-of-state travel is required.
- Position may require irregular hours.
- Versant Power is a tobacco free and fragrance free workplace.
Versant Power is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-08