Government Relations Manager
Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Government Relations, the Government Relations Manager is responsible for grassroots engagement on state and federal issues, communicating the legislative and regulatory goals of the Amputee Coalition, overseeing and implementing projects to accomplish goals, and developing policy proposals and position statements. This position is also responsible for assuring that the organization is utilizing up to date information in communications and programs, as well as project management.
This position is responsible for supporting advocates’ engagement with state and federal legislative and rule-making campaigns affecting the LL/LD community. Additionally, the position is responsible for grassroots recruitment and engagement on policy priorities, developing strategy for the Coalition’s Lead Advocate Program, supporting a national discussion on LL/LD issues with federal legislators, and advancing federal legislation and regulations affecting people with LL/LD and the Amputee Coalition. This position will oversee the government affairs coordinator.
· Manages Grassroots Advocacy Coordinator.
· Oversees grassroots strategy and engagement with appropriate staff and implements trainings related to the Coalition’s Lead Advocate Program.
· Track and monitor engagement on federal and state issues for internal reporting.
· Works with Government Relations staff and other departments as necessary to support, organize, and conduct Amputee Coalition Advocacy Forum and Amputee Coalition advocate trainings.
· Reviews current literature on public policy related to LL/LD, maintains relevant data elements for dissemination to use in strategic communications.
· Develops policy and position statements as well as white papers on issues impacting the LL/LD community and health care policies and other relevant topics in coordination with the organization’s policy priorities for dissemination to advocates, the broader LL/LD community, and other stakeholders.
· Designs and executes, with the Senior Director of Government Affairs, Congressional briefings in accordance with organizational priorities and work plan objectives.
· Develops and communicates policy positions on issues affecting people with LL/LD with agencies, decision makers, and elected officials.
· Assists in maintaining active engagement with the community through the Amputee Coalition’s Communications Department with website and social media interactions.
· Assist the Senior Director of Government Relations in representing the Amputee Coalition in meetings with government agencies, policy makers, coalitions, and strategic partners.
· Assists the Senior Director of Government Relations in identifying new partner organizations to advance shared priorities.
· Assists in “Limb Loss Awareness Month” strategies and activities.
· Provides administrative support to Advisory Committees and lead advocate program.
· 5+ years of experience in a Government Relations position. Experience in a non-profit health related organization preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree in political science, communications, or related field or appropriate relevant experience preferred.
· Substantial relevant experience in patient advocacy, health care policy, or grassroots organizing.
· Knowledge of state and federal policy engagement and regulatory affairs.
· Congressional or executive branch experience or substantial relevant experience in patient advocacy, government relations and federal or state policy making preferred.
· Computer skills and knowledge of software needed to compile needed information for limb loss policy analysis.
· Experience utilizing online tools and databases.
· Excellent oral, written, teamwork, interpersonal, and project management skills.
· Strong work ethic and strong desire to produce an exceptional product.
· Ability to build relationships with legislative offices and strategic partners.
· Ability to problem solve, exercise judgment, and work with limited direction.
· Ability to maintain accuracy in preparing and displaying information.
· Time management skills and very effective organization skills.
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the Amputee Coalition.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-02-26