Are you in tune with who’s who in D.C. and how things work on the hill?
What you will love about Johnson Controls: We’ve been dedicated to protecting the environment since our invention of the electric thermostat in 1885, which provided a fundamental shift in the energy efficiency of buildings. Now, all over the world, our products and services empower customers and communities to consume less energy and conserve resources.
- Global, innovative, industry leader
- #70 on Fortune’s most admired companies list
- Embraces diversity
- Growth opportunities abound
- Fast paced, evolving company, always learning, always adapting
- Great benefits; including Healthcare related wellness discounts, great 401k match, vacation, sick time, floating holidays and national holidays
What you will love about the opportunity:
- Already engaged – JCI is already a global sustainability leader with many accolades
- Corporate impact – Opportunity to impact the organization on multiple levels
- Global impact – How many roles do you know of where you can earn a great living and help improve the world? This is one of those rare opportunities!
- Growth – Extremely visible role, many opportunities for recognition and growth
- People – Work with top level executives, congress, people who care about energy efficiency and sustainability
Summary of Position: Government Relations Manager
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with policymakers, congressional staff, government officials, industry leaders, trade associations, think tanks, academics, and other opinion leaders in furtherance of company goals.
- Support our Director of Federal Relations and Senior Director of State Government Relations on legislative and policy activities.
- Represent Johnson Controls’ interests before Congress, the federal agencies, and with external stakeholders.
- Research potential legislation and regulations that may affect company interests and track/monitor progress on a daily basis.
- Develop documents for internal and external use such as draft legislative language, policy briefs, advocacy materials, presentations, fact sheets, issue messages and other materials.
- Build knowledge of the Johnson Controls businesses and understanding of policy issues as they affect the company objectives.
- Manage internal grassroots employee government relations engagement efforts.
- Collaborate with our political action committee (PAC) efforts as needed, including on our PAC website, communications, solicitation efforts, and compliance activities.
- Collaborate with Sustainability team on reporting and stakeholder engagement activities.
- Involvement in coordination of visits by policymakers to Johnson Controls plants and facilities as integral part of government relations outreach strategy, including outreach to policymakers’ offices and schedulers, coordinating with plant and facilities managers, preparing presentation materials and scripts, and leading visit events.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Experience: Minimum of 2 years’ experience in communications, government relations, congressional office or similar field.
- Knowledge: Understanding of U.S. political landscape. Working knowledge of energy efficiency, clean energy, and environmental policy. Understanding of Congressional procedure, EPA regulations, and DOE appliance standards a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with all levels of management
- Excellent communications skills, including verbal, written and digital.
- Ability to successfully coordinate and manage multiple and diverse projects.
- Demonstrated capability in policy analysis and research.
- Facility with and interest in visual presentation and basic graphic design.
- Learn more here
Job Posted: September 11, 2017