Government Relations Manager
“Our Company provides a state of predictability which allows brokers and agents to act with confidence.”
Founded in 1967, W. R. Berkley Corporation has grown from a small investment management firm into one of the largest commercial lines property and casualty insurers in the United States.
Along the way, we’ve been listed on the New York Stock Exchange, seen our revenue soar well past $7 billion, and become a well-respected Fortune 500 Company.
Today, the Berkley brand comprises 53 Berkley companies worldwide. Still managed by our founder and largest shareholder, W. R. Berkley Corporation is well-positioned to respond to opportunities for future growth.
In April 2017, W. R. Berkley Corporation celebrated the 50th anniversary of its founding.
Serving in the Federal Government Relations office, the Federal Government Relations Manager will provide business and administrative support for the Vice President of Federal Government Relations, including managing regulatory compliance activities for federal governmental relations, conducting research, assisting in the preparation of presentations and summaries of legislation and policy issues of importance to the company, tracking progress of key Federal issues, including tax policy, and facilitating support of the company’s political action committee (PAC). The position also assists the Vice President of FGR in arranging and managing travel, preparation of documents for hearings, briefings, and coalition activities, and the management of administrative compliance matters including timesheets, office budget, and public disclosures.
- Oversee and mange process, assure timely filings of compliance reports such as the quarterly federal Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA) and bi-yearly LD-203 Political Contributions report, including maintaining and updated Federal Government Affairs Budget.
- Build and maintain external relationships to further company reputation and continued political contacts; facilitate interactions between senior management, Congressional members and staff, as well as other external affiliates;
- Represent the company in legislative engagement activities and political activities and events.
- Identify and track issues with potential impact on the company and work with company subject matter experts for analyses; work with external stakeholders
- Research, analyze and prepare information and make recommendations as appropriate
- Assist in development and maintenance of federal policy goals and reporting of the Federal Government Relations team
- Assist in coordination of special events, meetings and other communications with Senior Management, Congressional delegations and staff as well as other external affiliates.
- Answer incoming calls in an exceptional, positive, clear manner, schedule appointments, organize staff and coalition meetings, support setting travel itineraries, maintain office supplies, expenses, filing and scanning documents, data entry, and coordinate pick-ups and deliveries
- Maintain confidentiality at the highest levels and protect sensitive data at all times.
- Take personal initiative to prepare drafts of correspondence and other documents required on a timely basis.
- Provide superior proof-reading expertise to members of Government Relations and related legal teams.
- Assist Federal Government Relations with the corporate political contribution process including internal approval process and drafting PAC requests.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with all.
- Oversee and assure timely, accurate filings of compliance reports
- Identify and track issues, work with key subject matter experts and external stakeholders.
- Represent the company at external events.
- Assists in coordination of special events.
- Coordinate all Washington DC office administration.
- Maintain the Federal office budget.
- Assist federal PAC activity.
- 1-3 years of federal legislative branch experience, with working knowledge of U.S. House and U.S. Senate.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Proficient computer skills, including expert level Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent organizational skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including internal and external partners.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proactive approach to problem solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Highly resourceful team player with demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- The ability to understand and effectively research necessary/required subjects.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressure.
- Must have the ability to exercise good judgement in a variety of situations.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-09