Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Relations Manager
The United States is poised for a decade of supercharged clean energy growth, following new state and local commitments to renewable energy and the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act. Environment America is hiring an advocate to leverage this progress to develop new and stronger clean energy champions in Congress.
As our Government Relations Manager for Clean Energy, you’ll organize events with members of Congress, brief Hill staff on the latest clean energy news, and powermap districts to understand what clean energy progress looks like “back home.”
You’ll develop strong, collaborative relationships with Democrats, Republicans, and anybody else excited about the promise of clean energy.
And, you’ll work closely with our 30 state offices, communications experts and organizers to help our largest-ever federal climate law live up to its promise by ensuring millions of Americans hear about and utilize new clean energy tax credits.
If you are passionate about the environment, highly organized and goal-oriented, and skilled at working with people, you can make a big impact in this role. This position requires exercising excellent judgment, discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects.
- Government relations: Develop and manage collaborative relationships with congressional targets and their staff, including Democrats and Republicans.
- Coalition building: Recruit and work collaboratively with others who can support our project, including groups in our Congressional targets’ home states and districts.
- Communications and media outreach: Serve as a spokesperson for our clean energy campaigns. Draft materials for lawmakers, the public, and the media including opinion editorials, press releases, campaign action emails, factsheets, bill summaries, regulatory comments and presentations.
- Campaign strategy: Identify opportunities to deepen relationships and cultivate legislative champions through media and communications, events, grassroots organizing and VIP and coalition engagement.
- Research: Take complex data and distill it into clear, powerful conclusions that are easy to communicate to decision-makers and the public.
- Fundraise from individual donors and foundations to support Environment America’s work.
- Recruit and train new staff, interns and volunteers.
If these qualities sounds like you, we hope you’ll apply to join our team:
- A good lobbyist who can advocate, persuade and cultivate relationships (experience in a legislative office within Congress is preferred),
- An effective communicator with excellent writing and verbal skills,
- A creative and strategic thinker,
- Well-organized, able to work independently to achieve goals while balancing urgent and important needs,
- Experienced in campaign advocacy, grassroots organizing, coalition building and/or campaign politics for at least 2 years,
- And passionate about clean energy.
Environment America is a policy and action group with one mission: to transform our ideas and imagination into change that makes our world a greener and healthier place for all.
Working with our 30 state offices, we have won campaigns to enact and strengthen renewable electricity standards, secure commitments to reach 100% clean electricity and develop resources like offshore wind and rooftop solar, and establish and strengthen the country’s most successful program to cut carbon emissions from power plants. America now produces almost four times as much renewable electricity as we did a decade ago, and one in three of us lives in a community that’s already committed to meeting its needs with 100% clean electricity. And we’re just getting started.
If you want to work hard, challenge yourself, and make a real impact on the critical environmental issues of our time, then we hope you’ll consider a career with Environment America.
The target starting compensation for this position is $32,000-$60,000 in the first year. Candidates on the low end of directly relevant experience should expect to be on the lower end of this range; candidates on the higher end of relevant experience are likely to be on the higher end of this range. Environment America offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Things to Know When You Apply
Why work for Environment America? Here are ten reasons: https://environmentamerica.org/why-work-with-us/
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values/ to learn more.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-05-25