Government Relations Manager
Better Markets is the leading non-profit, non-partisan, and independent organization in Washington DC fighting for a financial system that supports the real productive economy, jobs and growth. It was founded in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis to promote the public interest in the financial markets, support the financial reform of Wall Street, and make our financial system work for all Americans again. We pursue these goals through a variety of advocacy and activities, including throughout the rulemaking process at all the financial regulators, in-depth research reports, litigation in the federal courts, and through all mainstream and social media channels.
The successful candidate will know Capitol Hill well and enjoy working with Congressional members and staff on high-profile, cutting edge and consequential issues that impact all Americans, their quality of life and the availability of the American Dream. The candidate will be an energetic, proactive, creative, articulate and highly motivated professional who can work independently as well as with other staff members to promote Better Markets and its work on Capitol Hill and with other organizations.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Congressional members and staff on all topics and issues related in any way to Better Markets, its work and mission.
- Cultivate, build and maintain relationships with all Congressional members and staff who have jurisdiction over or are interested in Better Markets’ work and mission.
- Strategically promote Better Markets and its work while tracking, researching and analyzing legislative proposals to determine their impact on the financial system, the economy and Americans’ lives, and provide timely and actionable updates and recommendations.
- Follow all developments in Congress, including attending key committee hearings in the U.S. House and U.S. Senate, working with Congressional staff in committees/personal offices to ensure the organization’s perspective is considered and its work is timely, relevant and impactful.
- Entrepreneurially seek ways to ensure that Better Markets and the organization’s perspective and work on financial and economic issues are front-of-mind for key Congressional stakeholders.
- Assist in developing high-quality analysis, briefing materials, fact sheets, op/eds, testimony and other materials to support our policy priorities.
- Prepare regular reports and updates on Congressional activity in our areas of interest, with recommendations for capitalizing on opportunities as they arise.
- BA degree, with 4 or more years of experience in a Congressional office, or related area.
- Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of key issues before the Senate Banking Committee and House Financial Services Committee.
- A commitment to working for the public interest, a strong work ethic, initiative, and alertness to opportunities to proactively advance our agenda.
- An ability to work cooperatively with others in a small team environment while also being able to work independently.
Better Markets is an equal opportunity employer. Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job posted: 2019-03-12