Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
International Policy Advisor
The International Policy Advisor focuses on advocacy developments in Europe and globally. The position will support EFF’s international policy team and be responsible for overseeing files related to tech, free expression, privacy, and human rights. Ideal candidates will have deep expertise in EU lawmaking and experience representing civil society organizations at policy and global venues, and collaborating with international coalition partners.
- Bolstering EFF’s advocacy before EU institutions and other international venues
- Facilitating EFF’s international policy team’s priorities related to tech, speech and privacy regulation
- Assisting relevant working groups within EFF, ensuring that the implications of international policy development are well-understood across teams in the organization
- Developing policy positions on EU internet regulation and international policy developments, including writing position statements and blog posts to promote digital rights internationally
- Understand EFF policy positions in terms of EFF core goals of promoting civil liberties, creativity, innovation, and justice, including how they’ve evolved over time and how they can be turned into legislative or regulatory action
- Writing high-quality, accurate, compelling blog posts and other materials about digital rights issues and related court cases
- Help identify strategic opportunities for EFF to develop advocacy responses and influence public conversations
- Publicly represent EFF’s positions to policy makers, international coalitions and media
- Respond to policy developments as an issue area expert
Qualities we are seeking/Competencies
- Demonstrates sensitivity and respect towards co-workers, outside partners, members of the public, donors, and others with whom this role interacts
- Works to positively and collaboratively resolve conflicts and overcome challenges
- Ability to work with a broad range of stakeholders, both inside and outside the organization
- Able to comprehend and articulate complex and nuanced technology policy issues, including basic ability to comprehend various technology, legislation, and court cases
- Ability to understand and articulate with accuracy EFF’s mission, positions, and work;
- Available and responsive to colleagues, outside partners and others over email, phone,and online chat, with the ability to respond reliably to time-sensitive requests for assistance and opportunities during agreed upon working hours;
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences including race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance.
Required education and experience
- Expertise and education in EU and international lawmaking and familiarity with related court cases. A law degree is beneficial but not required.
- Proficiency in the English language is required. Additional language skills are helpful.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A proven track record of experience in EU and international tech legislation, including experience with public interest policymaking.
- Tech savviness and familiarity with issues at the intersection of technology, law and human rights
Classification: Exempt, Full-time
Salary: $90,000 to $110,000 per year depending on experience and location
Expected hours of work: Typically Monday – Friday
Reports to: International Policy Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Commitment to Diversity
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-09-11