Legislative Affairs Associate
The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) and the Hospice Action Network (HAN) is seeking a Legislative Affairs Associate to work collaboratively across the organization and directly lobby Members of Congress, congressional staff, and federal agencies. The Associate will be responsible for establishing relationships with key stakeholders, developing and implementing strategies to advance NHPCO’s legislative agenda, and will play an integral role in identifying federal priorities and opportunities that impact the hospice and palliative care community. This is an exciting role that faces both externally and internally and offers a great chance to build a career in legislative affairs. This role reports to the Director of Legislative Affairs and is based in the Washington, DC area (which is currently remote until it is safe to reopen). NHPCO offers a competitive benefits package to include medical, dental and vision coverage along with flexible and generous leave and paid holidays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Establishes relationships with and influences Members of Congress and their staff.
- Creates and executes Hospice Action Network strategies related to engagement between NHPCO members and members of Congress and/or staff, as appropriate.
- Independently identifies and analyzes federal legislation pertinent to NHPCO.
- Research and drafts correspondence, memoranda, reports, papers, and articles on legislative and regulatory issues for a variety of audiences.
- Implements strategies to compliment lobbying activity by recruiting, training, and mobilization activities of the Hospice Action Network’s nationwide network of grassroots and grasstops advocates to facilitate and leverage their relationships with elected officials to support hospice and palliative care policy.
- Coordinates and cross-promotes advocacy activities across all NHPCO communications platforms.
- Develops and executes Hospice Action Network events, including agenda creation, speaker selection, collateral, and logistics.
- On behalf of the Hospice Actin Network and NHPCO, attends, speaks, and participates in networking events, panel discussions and webinars, as appropriate.
- Represents the Hospice Action Network at political and public policy events
- Staffs NHPCO Committee and Councils, as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2-4 years of experience in a Congressional office or campaign, lobbying firm, membership organization, or non-profit, with experience in grassroots outreach and online communications, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Has strong understanding of the federal legislative process.
- Ability to create and execute on long-term strategic legislative initiatives.
- Has solid experience in grassroots recruitment, training, and mobilization.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced environment and can adapt to various situations prioritizing multiple work assignments simultaneously.
- Has proven ability to work independently, creatively, and strategically; take initiative; a self-starter who can take ownership of projects assigned.
- Has the ability to work under pressure and deal with constraints that are outside of your control.
- Ability to identify opportunities to engage NHPCO in the national health conversation.
- Excellent organizational, writing, editing and communication skills.
- Actively seeks and engages with diverse perspectives.
- Has superior attention to detail, as well as analytic and problem-solving skills.
NHPCO requires all employees to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment, unless entitled to an accommodation. If you receive an offer of employment, it will be made contingent upon satisfaction of this requirement, and you will be required to show proof that you are fully vaccinated or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated. Please do not provide information about whether you are seeking an exemption from the vaccination requirement unless and until you receive a conditional offer of employment from NHPCO.
NHPCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this position, please submit your application, resume and cover letter to: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=39fc7c46-b9f5-43b3-87eb-4f6485372f8b&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=420141&source=CC2&lang=en_US
Job posted: 2021-09-08