The National Association of Counties (NACo) a non-profit in Washington, D.C., is the only organization that supports our nations’ counties elected officials through policy and advocacy work, grant funded programs and original research. NACo is seeking candidates for a Legislative Associate position for our Government Affairs department.
Are you a policy wonk looking to cut your teeth at a prominent Capitol Hill association? Are you looking for the experience that will propel your Washington D.C. career? Look no further! You will have the opportunity to work on policy issues related to county government as well as putting together policy updates.
Under the direction of the Associate Legislative Directors, this position focuses on writing updates on regulatory activities, administrative duties associated with preparing for and conducting meetings and educational sessions held in conjunction with NACo conferences. In this role you will gain valuable exposure to lobbying strategies, perform supportive administrative duties such as providing answers, both oral and written, to membership inquiries on legislative matters.
Ideal candidates will thrive in a political environment designed to advance a strategic and nonpartisan approach toward advancing the NACo agenda. Candidates should have a strong understanding of and interest in the U.S. political system, including local and regional government. NACo is a friendly, fast-paced work environment with a bipartisan, mission-driven team.
- Responsible for department products including the weekly legislative department publication, Washington Watch. This includes writing articles, managing articles submitted and editing;
- Responsible to perform legislative research on issues relevant to the legislative department;
- Responsible for the department’s grassroots advocacy needs. This includes developing and electronically mailing action alerts, special legislative update and press releases when necessary. This also includes assisting Legislative Director and Associate Legislative Directors with social media advocacy.
- Responsible to learn and manage various web software used by the legislative department for communications needs;
- Assist in interdepartmental mailings of press releases, legislative alerts, etc., when necessary;
- Assist in tasks associated with the preparation and execution of major conferences and meetings—including legislative fact sheets, managing the legislative resource center at conferences, and other various tasks as assigned;
- Assist the Legislative Director, Deputy Director and Associate Legislative Directors in managing the steering committee appointment process. This includes coordinating with state associations and NACo staff to ensure that these are entered correctly in the NACo database;
- Receive and route incoming telephone calls and promptly locating individual and/or record accurate telephone messages;
- Make telephone calls, schedule appointments, set up meetings, reserve conference room and order luncheons;
- Set up and maintain files and records according to the needs of the Legislative Director
- Answer routine inquiries when possible; refer other inquiries to appropriate sources;
- Prepare and/or type correspondence and prepare necessary labels, envelopes, etc., for mailings and other distributions;
- Distribute mail to staff members;
- Maintain and update mailing lists as required;
- Learn and use all office equipment, including personal computers, make edits and enter all new material, knowledge of Microsoft Office preferred including Word and Excel;
- Assist in “overflow” work as requested by the supervisor; and
- Perform various other duties that may be assigned from time to time based on the needs of the government affairs department
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Knowledge of the federal government
- Ability to use the Internet
- Knowledge of Social Media
- Good spelling and grammar;
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle a variety of duties;
- Self-motivation; and
- The ability to work well under pressure.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume and salary to email@example.com or go on line for more information at www.NACo.org.
NACo and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Job posted: 2019-09-03