Advocacy/Government Affairs is responsible for advocating public policies at the federal, state and local
level, with a special focus on Congress and the Executive Branch. The Department covers a wide range
of economic and social issues, and works closely with other AFL-CIO Hubs/Resources and with our
affiliates to identify key legislative and regulatory priorities.
The Legislative Representative/Generalist is responsible for communicating to members of Congress and
their staff the views of the AFL-CIO on these issues and works closely with other AFL-CIO departments,
affiliates and other allied organizations to formulate comprehensive legislative strategies on these
issues. The Legislative Representative may also be called upon to participate in the AFL-CIO’s state and
local government advocacy work.
The Legislative Representative works under the supervision of the Director of Government Affairs and
works in coordination with the respective program hubs.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Lobby congress on a wide range of economic and social issues, including jobs, international
trade and domestic workers’ rights, health care, retirement security, civil and human rights,
immigration, energy and the environment. Coordinate and guide affiliate lobbying, together
with the AFL-CIO on issues of mutual interest in the above areas and, as needed, deliver
testimony and make public speaking appearances.
● Develop material on issues in forms appropriate for Washington lobbying as well as for grass
roots lobbying, including AFL-CIO policy letters, fact sheets and legislative updates.
● Respond to requests for information and provide technical assistance as required to
Congressional members and staff, the Administration and department/agency staff, affiliate
union departments and members, the media, education institutions, national and local
organizations and the general public.
● Conduct briefings on issues for hill staff, assist Congressional members and staff in preparation
for hearings and mark ups.
● Analyze legislation and prepare written materials for use by Congressional members and their
staff, the Administration and department/agency staff, and AFL-CIO staff as required.
● Represent the AFL-CIO in a variety of public settings including at congressional hearings,
conferences, meetings with Members of Congress and congressional staff, appropriate
government agencies, educational institutions and before other allied organizations.
● Coordinate efforts with relevant AFL-CIO departments, affiliate unions and outside organizations
at both the local and national level.
● Keeps the director fully informed on a regular basis on issues affecting lobbying activities.
● Prepares and submits regular and ad hoc reports on legislative activities as required.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● A bachelor’s degree in law, economics or related field with 5-7 years of lobbying experience or
8-10 years direct lobbying experience either at the national or local level.
● Experience working with or for the Congress.
● Knowledge of the labor movement, actual experience highly desirable.
● Must be able to effectively articulate the AFL-CIO’s position on issues and be able to negotiate
the resolution of differing points of view within the labor movement and on Capitol Hill.
● Demonstrate effective ability to lead people and get along well with a wide variety of people.
● Strong inter-personal skill, including experience in convening and managing working groups of
affiliates, state and local central bodies and others involved in legislative activities.
● Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Excellent public speaking skills, including demonstrating ability to appear before large groups.
● Proficiency in Internet-based research, word processing and e-mail programs.
● Demonstrate ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
● Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
● Flexibility to travel as required in performance of duties.
Apply here: http://aflcio.hirecentric.com/jobs/
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job posted: 2020-10-14