Autism speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the lifespan, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions. Come join us as a Manager of Communications in New York City!
POSITION: Autism Speaks is seeking a communications manager who will work closely with senior communications staff to facilitate all aspects of public relations and external/internal communications. S/he will assist with editorial research, booking and logistics for national and local media campaigns, and tracking media coverage and metrics. The communications manager will serve as a key liaison for internal departments and external partners, ensuring consistency of messaging and identifying opportunities to tell the Autism Speaks story to a broad audience.
- Liaise with the integrated marketing, communications and digital team to ensure alignment on communications materials and identify opportunities to collaborate
- Liaise with Autism Speaks internal departments to ensure consistency of communications materials and ensure master communications calendar remains up-to-date
- Work closely with internal team members and public relations agency to pitch and secure national media coverage of Autism Speaks’ mission and impact
- Write media alerts, pitches and press releases for Autism Speaks news, including, but not limited to, partnerships, initiatives and events
- Collaborate as needed with external partners on press releases and other written materials
- Manage internal communications including weekly internal newsletter
- Manage and execute promotion and PR for Autism Speaks initiatives, including special events, partnerships and ongoing “news bureau” media relations
- Manage public relations agency, which will lead PR efforts for major initiatives and announcements
- Support major campaigns by organizing, scheduling and managing interviews for senior leadership and corporate partners, including satellite media tours
- Research and facilitate outreach opportunities for Autism Speaks (editorial boards, deskside chats, conferences, blogs, social media chats, etc.)
- Build and manage media lists; develop strong working relationships with new and existing contacts, particularly in print and digital media
- Assist in researching and securing celebrity engagement for special events and campaigns
- Manage photography during special events
- Monitor media coverage in partnership with PR agency; create and distribute weekly and monthly internal metrics reports
- Assist in creating PowerPoint presentations for internal and external audiences
- Assist with ongoing media training for staff to ensure consistent messaging
- Develop and maintain editorial calendar across all Autism Speaks communications
- Assist with updating and disseminating PR materials and internal communications
(The responsibilities listed above are representative and not all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned by supervisor/s. As outlined in your performance goal setting forms, you will be responsible for achieving the goals provided by and agreed upon with your manager.)
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field; minimum of 5 years of professional experience
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Track record of placements in local and/or national media outlets
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of a media monitoring and distribution system
- Availability for occasional travel and night or weekend assignments
- Building Collaborative Relationships
- Customer Orientation
- Professional Behavior
- Results Driven
You are responsible for protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of all Autism Speaks data and information to which you have access.
Autism Speaks offers a competitive compensation package and the opportunity to enhance lives today and accelerate a spectrum of solutions for tomorrow for individuals with autism and their families.
For consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter.
Only those applicants who meet the hiring criteria will be considered and contacted by Human Resources. Autism Speaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply for job openings. Reasonable accommodations will be provided.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-09-30