This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy.
The position is primary provider of governmental and public affairs support for PSEG assets outside of New Jersey with additional public affairs support provided for State-level issues within New Jersey. The position requires direct engagement both within New Jersey and out-of-state with state, regional, and municipal government and regulatory bodies and interaction with state, regional, and municipal elected and appointed officials, including governors, executive staff, state legislators, mayors, county and city legislators. The position conducts lobbying and political activity on behalf of PSEG as part of its overall State Governmental Affairs program, coordinates activities with business clients, PSEG federal affairs, corporate responsibility, and corporate communications, and manages governmental affairs and public affairs consultants.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Develop and implement governmental, lobbying, and public affairs plans designed to advance specific PSEG business goals; prevent or mitigate adverse public policy and legislative outcomes; build public support for PSEG’s assets and operations; enhance and advance PSEG’s corporate citizenship standing in the appropriate jurisdictions. 40%
- Represent PSEG before state legislatures and agencies, regional and local governments, external interest groups and trade associations. Coordinate governmental affairs and legislative activity with industry and trade allies. Analyze and inform affected business clients about pending legislation and develop lobbying strategies in support or opposition; consult with clients and subject matter experts and write and deliver legislative testimony, as appropriate. 25%
- Manage activities of retained resources (contract lobbyists and public affairs consultants), coordinate external outreach with appropriate business client and legal personnel, and ensure compliance with state and local laws and regulations governing lobbying and political contributions and activities. 15%
- Advise and engage senior business leaders and appropriate staff on extant government affairs issues, public policy threats/opportunities, and political options and activities. 10%
- In conjunction with business clients and corporate responsibility staff, develop and oversee annual corporate giving budgets and make recommendations as appropriate on requests for PSEG Foundation and other charitable funding. 10%
- Conduct due diligence political and government affairs research in conjunction with corporate M&A activities in jurisdictions outside of New Jersey. 5%
- Write position papers, outreach presentations, and executive speeches and presentations. 5%
Bachelor’s degree in government, political science, journalism or communications, or equivalent experience.
At least 10 years of active experience in governmental affairs/public affairs/lobbying at state level
Proven knowledge and demonstrated expertise in political and legislative processes; knowledge and familiarity of public policy issues affecting PSEG and the energy industry; experience guiding high profile agendas and initiatives through complex political environments; ability to manage activity across different state and local jurisdictions; fluency with political discourse and current national and state political environments; excellent oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on ability to quickly translate complex issues into formats and messages appropriate for a wide range of external audiences and stakeholders.
Position likely to require registration as a lobbyist in one or more jurisdictions, with requisite reporting and compliance responsibilities.
Travel outside of NJ is required (11/30%).
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site (http://www.pseg.com) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved hiring decision.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 1, 2017