Manager of Federal Affairs
We recognize and respect the amount of time you are about to invest by applying to this open position. If you complete this job application, you will be kept informed via email status updates (and text messages, if you opt in) throughout the evaluation process.
By continuing with this job application, you will be asked to answer job-specific questions. Please note that the questions contained in this job posting are our sole intellectual property.
Upon receipt of your responses, we will evaluate your submission. If selected for a personal interview, you will receive an email/text with scheduling instructions.
The Apex Team
SPECIAL NOTE: If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within minutes of your job application submission, please check your email bulk or spam folders.
Founded in 2009, Apex Clean Energy is an independent renewable energy company focused on bringing utility-scale generation facilities to market, from site origination and financing to turnkey construction and long-term asset management. With a team of over 200 professionals and the nation’s largest renewable energy project portfolio, Apex is a leader in the transition to a clean energy future. For more information, visit www.apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
The Manager of Federal Affairs will represent Apex Clean Energy on Capitol Hill and within the executive branch to help execute company strategy and expand our coverage and impact on the Hill.
Working with our Director of Strategic Engagement, the Manager of Federal Affairs is responsible for supporting the day-to-day activities of the federal policy and regulatory program as well as supporting further enhancements of our federal policy and regulatory coverage. Such support and enhancements will be done through activities such as attending Congressional meetings and providing committee coverage, engaging in direct lobbying, analyzing policy initiatives to identify opportunities and threats, maintaining positive working relationships with internal and external colleagues – including lawmakers and staff, articulating Apex’s positions with lawmakers, trade associations and outside organizations, and communicating with appropriate internal colleagues to understand impacts and help formulate effective responses.
Successful candidates will have experience effectively monitoring the government and political environment to identify, evaluate and report on actions that could impact Apex’s efforts in accelerating the shift to clean energy. In addition, our successful candidate will be adept at tracking and analyzing legislation; attending legislative hearings, mark-ups, briefings and meetings; participating in industry and trade association meetings; developing accurate and persuasive materials including white papers, fact sheets and letters; engaging directly with policy-makers and staff while representing Apex’s priorities and perspectives; preparing internal reports on federal government affairs activities of interest; participation in events (before and after normal business hours); and collaborating with relevant business partners to identify and develop federal policy solutions that accelerate Apex’s goals and priorities.
Our ideal candidate will be a nimble, self-starting, with Capitol Hill experience, who is excited to get immersed in the complex and nuanced world of renewable energy while helping to represent a U.S. owned, operated and leading developer in the renewable energy industry.
This is a Washington, D.C. based position, reporting to the Director of Strategic Engagement.
- Analyze several issue sets and policy initiatives to identify opportunities and threats
- Attend Congressional meetings and provide committee coverage
- Engage directly with policymakers while representing Apex’s priorities and perspectives
- Articulate Apex’s positions with lawmakers, trade associations and outside organizations
- Maintain positive working relationships with internal and external colleagues – including lawmakers, staff, industry representatives and other stakeholders.
- Identify, evaluate and report on actions and issues
- Track and analyze legislation
- Attend legislative hearings, mark-ups, briefings and meetings
- Participate in industry and trade association meetings
- Communicate with appropriate internal colleagues to understand impacts and help formulate effective responses.
- Develop accurate and persuasive materials including white papers, fact sheets and letters
- Prepare internal reports on federal government affairs activities of interest
- Participate in events (before and after normal business hours)
- Collaborate with relevant business partners to identify and develop federal policy solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in government, public administration, policy, political science or related field required.
- Two to six years of experience in Federal government activities, with a preference toward candidates with experience working on Capitol Hill and/or for an Administration or working in a Congressional Office or Committee.
- A deep familiarity with politics and public policy. Experience covering energy, environment, tax or finance issues preferred.
- Substantial experience working on policy issues.
- Understanding of lobbying and reporting requirements.
- A thorough understanding of the Federal legislative and regulatory process and how to affect it.
- A network of relationships with lawmakers, staff, industry representatives and other stakeholders.
- Works well under pressure with an ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to communicate to internal and external audiences
- Strong business acumen.
- Ability to focus both on detail and the larger picture.
- Exhibits a high level of critical/strategic thinking.
- Recalibrates strategies in response to evolving political and policy landscape.
- The ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and shift priorities on the go.
- Well organized, with strong attention to detail, and the ability to synthesize and conceptualize complex ideas
- A passion for renewable energy
- Ability to work from the Washington, D.C. area
- Ability to travel back to the Apex HQ in Charlottesville, VA as needed
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- 401(k) Employer Match
- 401(k) Pre-tax or Roth Deferrals
- Health Savings Accounts
- Flexible Spending Arrangements
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Group Term Life Insurance
- Voluntary Additional Term Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Volunteer Time Off
- Progressive Parental Leave Plan
- Milk Stork Travel Solution
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Employee Referral Program
- ACAC Fitness and Wellness Center – Corporate Discount
- Company Paid Cell Phone
- Company Paid Parking
- United Van Lines – Relocation Discounts
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-28