Manager, Government Affairs
The Manager, Government Affairs serves as an administrator (creating structure and process), integrator (creating
cohesion and alignment) and implementer (driving priorities and overseeing special projects) to the VP, Government Affairs and across the VP’s business units. The Manager organizes and prioritizes critical issues and required information to facilitate decision making for the VP and across the Government Affairs division. The Manager will assist in the coordination of activities across the Government Affairs business units and across API as appropriate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assist the VP in identifying priorities, strategically align the VP’s time with those priorities and revisit priorities
regularly to assess progress.
· Manage a variety of long/short-term projects as determined by the VP.
· Coordinate the VP’s internal/external communications and those of the Government Affairs division, as needed.
· Plan VP’s direct report team retreats, developing objectives and agenda and coordinating with the VP’s executive assistant on logistics.
· Manage relationships with critical vendors as identified by VP.
· Build internal relationships and networks in support of the Government Affairs
division and API in general.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
· 5+ years’ experience in legislative affairs, mobilization or political campaign coordination positions.
· Strategic thinker with the ability to manage multiple projects to successful completion.
· Strong analytical, problem solving and collaboration skills.
· Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
· Capitol Hill experience strongly preferred.
The American Petroleum Institute (API) is the only national trade association representing all facets of the oil and natural gas industry, which supports 10.3 million U.S. jobs and nearly 8 percent of the U.S. economy. API’s more than 625 members include large integrated companies, as well as exploration and production, refining, marketing, pipeline, and marine businesses, and service and supply firms. They provide most of the nation’s energy and are backed by a growing grassroots movement of more than 40 million Americans.
Although our focus is primarily domestic, in recent years our work has expanded to include a growing international dimension, and today API is recognized around the world for its broad range of programs. Learn more about API at www.api.org.
As an API team member, you will enjoy competitive wages, excellent benefits, a generous PTO plan with paid holidays and a great working atmosphere.
API is an EOE M/F/D/V.
Learn more here
This job outline describes the typical accountabilities and requirements of the position and should not be construed as an all encompassing description of every duty performed by or expected of the incumbent.
Job posted: 2019-02-26