Manager, Public Affairs
REPORTS TO: Director of Public Affairs and/or Managing Director
You don’t apply. You enlist.
This is the mindset at Hubbell Communications. This is more than a job. It’s a calling.
Our brand was built around a core belief that better communications helps business and policy leaders create better communities.
This is why we specialize in helping leaders in the Pacific Northwest’s diverse communities leverage the power of storytelling around the major issues impacting every community today – from the future of our education system to the roads and bridges that form the backbone of our economy to the changing healthcare system.
The work we do sits at the intersection of business, policy, advocacy, and media. We specialize in a mix of public relations and public affairs, but our core expertise is understanding the biggest issues affecting the places where we all want to live, work and play. This includes helping advance debates around affordable and accessible healthcare, smart and balanced climate policy, effective and affordable education, and planning for growth through housing and land-use development, public safety, and transportation solutions.
We do this across a diverse portfolio of corporate, industry association, government, and non profit clients.
Hubbell Communications was named one of the “Fastest Growing Companies” in our market in 2019 and 2020. As we continue this growth, we are looking for a new mid-level manager to join our team. We are an agency that welcomes diverse people, voices, backgrounds and experiences – lived and otherwise.
- An experienced mid-level agency professional with ~5 years of experience in public relations and/or public affairs consulting.
- A strong organizational manager with an ability to guide project teams through the creation of complex campaigns in a variety of business and policy sectors. • An adaptable communications practitioner comfortable working across multiple verticals – from media relations to government affairs to advocacy communications. • An excellent writer with a proven ability to develop publishable content for both clients and the agency.
- A curious researcher with strong understanding of the changing forces in the communications landscape – and an understanding of both traditional media and emerging trends in the media business.
- A “swiss army knife” with an ability able to handle multiple projects, deadlines, and assignments while maintaining our rigorous standards for high-quality work. • A believer in the importance of company culture – and adhering to the core values that allow that culture to thrive.
This position will be primarily based in our Portland headquarters. However, we will consider strong candidates based in comparable metropolitan regions, including Seattle, Boise, or Denver, with the expectation there will be some degree of travel required if out-of-state.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
You should be an experienced agency professional with ~5 years of public affairs agency experience and an understanding of the diverse communities, people, and industries that make up our unique quality of life in the Pacific Northwest.
We’re seeking someone who is comfortable working across a variety of clients – with a particular expertise in communicating about public policy and issues advocacy. In addition, qualified candidates will have proven skills in writing, content development, communication strategy, media relations, and project management.
We will rely on your ability to work with internal project teams and clients in sometimes high stress situations. Qualified candidates must be able to handle multiple projects, deadlines, and assignments while maintaining our rigorous standards for high-quality work.
Candidates for this position should have some familiarity working with clients in the healthcare, energy, transportation, government, and education sectors.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing written materials for clients across diverse media channels – including earned media announcements, social media content, paid advertisements, multi-page reports, brochures, fact sheets, and other tactical deliverables.
- Independently managing integrated communications campaigns that require a mix of media relations, messaging strategy, content strategy, and creative and paid media.
- Managing client relations and project management for diverse clients in healthcare, energy, land use planning and development, and transportation.
- Building, managing, and running advocacy groups and associated campaigns around state and local policy debates.
- Managing day-to-day client needs and incoming requests – including managing teams and staff who needs guidance on tactical deliverables.
There are several critical skills candidates will need for this position:
- Knowledge of public policy issues in healthcare, energy, education, transportation, and/or land use planning and development.
- Excellent writing skills and a proven ability to condense information into proposal, plans, and client-ready communication with minimal to no oversight from executive leadership.
- Strong ability to self-manage and project manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision or support.
- Confidence navigating complex client relationships and experience managing incoming client requests without the need for approval or guidance.
- Experience handling client feedback directly and working against tight deadlines.
- Good internal communications skills and an ability to build relationships and problem solve with internal project teams.
- Strong presentation skills and confidence speaking in front of groups of people.
- Experience working for a public relations/public affairs agency and/or an in-house corporate communications team.
- Understanding of the agency / consulting culture, including meeting client demands, handling client relations, and ensuring client needs are consistently met.
Hubbell offers all full-time employees a leading-edge benefits package, including healthcare insurance coverage, 401k/retirement benefits, an unlimited paid-time off policy, paid maternity / paternity leave, and a flexible remote work policy.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Job posted: 2021-01-06