Manager of State Government Affairs
The Manager of State Government Affairs (the “Manager”) will be responsible for crafting the Company’s strategy at the local and state levels and overseeing political engagement and lobbying-related objectives across multiple state markets. In addition, the Manager will interface with state industry associations and engage in the creation and management of relationships with state-based stakeholder groups and coalitions. In this capacity, the Manager will advocate for the priorities and goals of the company. The Manager must have government affairs experience, the ability to understand and communicate the subject matter, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong internal and external relationships. The Manager will work closely with the Director of Public Policy to develop compelling materials used to advocate for our positions. Working well as a collaborative team member is imperative to success in the role, as is the ability to deliver results in a fast-paced environment where systems and processes are still being developed and maturing.
The Manager of Government Affairs reports to the Vice President of Corporate Affairs.
Major Areas of Responsibility
Working for and under the direction of the Vice President of Corporate Affairs, the Manager willbe responsible for:
- Creating comprehensive political, legislative and regulatory goals, strategies and plans on a state-by-state basis.
- Supporting the efforts of the Company’s state-based lobbyists and consultants.
- Developing and maintaining strong working relationships with industry lobbyists, elected officials, regulators and staff in order to advocate effectively for the legislative and regulatory policy goals of the Company.
- Monitoring and evaluating proposed legislation and regulations in order to identify public policy issues, assess their impact on the company and stakeholders, and develop recommendations and solutions.
- Partnering with the Director of Policy and the Compliance team to promote state legislation and changes to municipal codes and zoning ordinances in response to proposed legislation and regulations.
- Advising and collaborating with the Company’s public affairs consultant(s) on using their tools to create public relations communications, partnerships and paid media campaigns
- Create proactive community engagement campaigns.
- Working with the Company’s Pursuit & Development team and the Infrastructure team to support local real estate and permitting matters.
- Developing and managing the Company’s Political Action Committee and work with compliance to abide by applicable election laws.
- Assisting the Director of Policy on the creation of policy proposals and materials to support legislative and regulatory initiatives.
- Creating effective reporting systems for lobbyists and consultants in order to inform company executives and provide the Compliance and Legal team with regular updates on changing regulations and policies.
- Serving as point of contact for state and local agencies, city councils, and advocacy organizations, in conjunction with the compliance team.
- Collaborating with internal operational subject matter experts to gain a deeper understanding of policy issues.
- Attending hearings, briefings, meetings, tours and conferences.
- Working closely with the Company‘s Operations leaders to understand and support the regulatory needs of our operating entities.
Travel and Location
- The role is to be based out of Washington D.C.
- Travel is estimated to be 60% requirement for the position.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in law or policy-related discipline preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in State Legislative, Capitol Hill, policy or lobbying
- Strong understanding of and experience with public policy, political and campaign advocacy, public affairs programs, and campaign management concepts
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to build strong partnerships across all areas and levels of the organization
- Self-motivation and ability to work proactively and independently, troubleshoot, and work well under pressure
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Healthcare industry experience preferred, as is experience with political engagement (fundraising, campaigns, etc.)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-22