Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Mass Media Relations Specialist
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 6,000 pilots at 41 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an experienced Mass Media Relations Specialist for our Tysons (McLean), Virginia office. The Mass Media Relations Specialist provides traditional and social media relations strategy and execution for Association-wide communication initiatives, applying his or her skills toward the advancement of the Association’s advocacy efforts in Ottawa and Washington and collective bargaining goals with its member pilot groups, as well as other external and internal communications initiatives. They will work with the media team to support all areas of communications, executing programs and campaigns with earned, owned, and paid media to advance the interests of all members of the Association and of the piloting profession.
They support the social media team for ALPA and assist with syncing day-to-day traditional media relations with digital media, as a routine approach to amplify messaging to reach a wider audience.
Interested applicants are requested to submit online portfolio link(s) showing previous work.
Local travel: 5 – 10%.
ALPA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in a safe workplace. We prohibit discrimination, harassment and harmful behavior of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or other protected characteristics as outlined in federal or provincial laws. We highly value everyone and all are encouraged to apply, including minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area, e.g., Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing, or Public Relations, from an accredited college or university required; or, the equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree in a communications field is desirable.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in a communications role at ALPA or in an equivalent advocacy and/or communications position elsewhere required, five (5) or more years strongly preferred. Aviation and/or labor union experience and/or knowledge strongly preferred.
- Significant media relations and content strategy experience required.
- Exceptional writing skills, including the technical writing skills to communicate effectively with pilot groups, Association executives, and the media.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, external contacts, and pilots, with attention to detail when reviewing and editing written materials.
- Must possess exceptional time management skills; be able to work independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment; and, transition easily between projects.
- Ability to effectively interpret and disseminate complex information for public understanding.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills to quickly reduce an issue to its key components and to develop unique media solutions.
- Possesses the professional demeanor necessary to address issues of the most complex nature, to establish credibility in often-contentious circumstances, and to positively affect members, the media, and other audiences.
- Experience planning and implementing media and PR/education campaigns; proven track record in pitching media and securing story placements.
- Track record in developing, executing, and evolving comprehensive and proactive communications plans, as well as specific programs and campaigns, a definite plus.
- Must be a self-starter with professional maturity and sound judgment, capable of independent decision-making.
- Able to develop and execute social media strategies that build awareness and support for key pilot group initiatives.
- Knowledge of ALPA policies, processes, structure, and strategic plans preferred.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing, presentation, design, and web content management preferred, with a willingness to learn new software applications to enhance effectiveness.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required; Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Dreamweaver, and InDesign desirable. Sitecore and/or HTML a plus. Basic audio/video editing also a plus.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move about the office and the local metropolitan area, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and internationally). Also includes occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-24