Media Relations Manager
The Middle East Institute (MEI) seeks a media relations manager to join its communications team to raise the profile and visibility of the Institute’s scholars and publications. Working closely with the director of communications and MEI leadership, the Media Relations Manager will focus on developing and executing media relations and social media strategies that position MEI and its experts as thought leaders in top tier print, digital, and broadcast media and help drive conversation that advances MEI’s mission of promoting knowledge and understanding about the Middle East.
- Develop and execute MEI’s media relations strategy, ensuring alignment with the Institute’s strategic goals
- Manage MEI’s social media platforms (including two Twitter handles, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn) and engagement, including live tweeting public events
- Identify opportunities to pitch MEI’s scholars, publications, and events to key print, digital, and broadcast media
- Cultivate relationships with influential journalists, editors, and producers with top-tier news outlets for print, TV, radio, web, and podcasts
- Respond promptly to media inquiries and interview requests, connecting journalists with the appropriate experts
- Write press releases, media advisories, and web and digital media content that focus on key messages that amplify MEI’s brand and experts
- Track coverage of MEI and its scholars, sharing regular media reports and analytics and setting concrete goals for increased media exposure
- Organize and moderate in-person, phone-, and web-based media briefings to connect journalists with MEI scholars
- Help scholars to craft key messages and talking points, and provide coaching on how best to present their analysis in print and broadcast
- Work with scholars and MEI’s editorial director to craft effective op-eds and place them in top-tier print and online publications
- Five years of related professional experience in journalism, media relations or public affairs
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications or related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience working for a non-profit, NGO or university
- Deep familiarity with Middle East policy issues
- Strong existing relationships with journalists covering international affairs, US foreign policy, and the Middle East
- Familiarity with media trainings
- Experience interpreting analytics and data in order to build or adapt strategies
- Demonstrated experience in storytelling through new media, such as some video, podcasting, and other interactive experiences
Salary range $60-$65k commensurate with expertise and experience.
How to apply
To apply, please e-mail your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Media Relations Manager” in the subject heading.
Job posted: 2020-08-31