National Organizing Director
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA)
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a dynamic and effective d National Organizing Director to build and develop the long term power-building infrastructure across the Federation. Planned Parenthood seeks to integrate deep and scalable organizing practices across the country in order to implement campaigns in the reproductive health arena and other progressive issues affecting its patients and supporters. The Director will supervise the 50-state organizing work, including Digital Organizing and the Patient Advocacy Program, and work hand-in-hand with all 53 affiliates to drive volunteer recruitment, public affairs, and mobilization efforts across the country that ladder into the broader strategic goals of protecting access to care and building political power. This is a senior leadership role within the Organizing, Engagement and Campaigns (OEC) department with responsibility for managing a diverse staff as well as driving engagements through the Action Fund. The incumbent will also be a valuable thought-partner and influencer within the larger Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy (PCA) division to help shape the growth and direction for advocacy across the Federation. This position reports to the Vice-President of Organizing & Executive Director of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops overall vision and plan for long term power-building infrastructure across the Federation, including development of Public Affairs, staff, the deep engagement of key constituencies, PP’s volunteer base, and allies.
- Coordinates directly with the Organizing and Electoral Campaigns team to implement strategic campaign initiatives on the state and federal levels.
- This role works in close partnership with the National Political Director, National Campaigns Director, and Training Director to build 50-state power.
- Drives, integrates, and provides strategic vision for national programs in partnership with constituency organizing programs such as PP Generation Action, Black Organizing, and Raiz.
- Guides the integration of other campaign functions in PP’s organizing initiatives, including rapid response opportunities, communications, and online strategies both nationally and in target states.
- Coordinates rapid response mobilizations to combat false narratives and/or threats to reproductive freedoms, particularly against Planned Parenthood, levied from both federal and state sources.
- Works in close coordination with the Government Relations, Communications, and Digital teams to coordinate scaleable 360 degree campaigns and ensure alignment across Planned Parenthood platforms.
- Manage the National Organizing Peaks chart and weekly cross-divisional convening that pulls all of the advocacy teams together to align around organizing priorities for the organization. Responsible for routine report-outs that include updates to the President, affiliate CEOs, both Boards and internal PCA leadership.
- Serves as a national representative and spokesperson for Planned Parenthood with external partners and seeks to coordinate strategies with coalition partners to develop consensus on issues in order to be most effective in our organizing strategies.
- Builds strategic organizing partnerships and alliances with organizations and leaders across the field.
- Oversees your team’s stewardship of resources including sound financial management, budget formulation and reporting, compliance with electoral and tax regulations, and adhering to practices and procedures set forth by the Federation to manage the financial solvency of the institution.
- Work with the General Counsel and Chief Financial Office to navigate difficult legal predicaments, as well as ensure training and compliance for all staff members on appropriate administrative procedures.
- Oversee and manage outside consultants and strategic advisors.
- Fundraising duties as assigned and other responsibilities and tasks as needed.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Over 10 years of professional experience working as a lead organizer at both the state and national levels, with a mix of electoral, legislative, and movement organizing experience.
- Commitment to gender and racial justice and social justice values.
- Ability to identify opportunities for innovation and experimentation in the campaign’s organizing program.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects, develop work plans, and meet target goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and develop staff.
- Ability to work in partnership and coalition with organizations both nationally and locally.
- Collaborative work style and experience working in a federated structure.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Extensive familiarity with women’s and social justice organizations and actors a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience and comfort with working with diverse constituencies.
- Desire to work in a fast paced culture of high output, open communication, low ego, and no drama.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.
Job posted: 2020-02-12