The Directors Guild of America (DGA) as an immediate opening for a Political Director. The DGA is a labor organization that represents more than 18,000 film and television Directors and members of the directorial team, including Unit Production Managers, Assistant Directors, Associate Directors, Stage Managers and Program Production Associate, who work in film, television, commercials, news, sports and new media.
The DGA seeks a Political Director to oversee and manage the Guild’s non-partisan Political Action Committee and all its related activities, and to execute the DGA’s federal legislative, regulatory and government policy priorities, policy goals and strategy. Candidates should have a proven track record of managing complex legislative and political priorities, a commitment to organized labor and excellent verbal and written communications skills. The work will require weeknight and weekend hours and occasional travel. This position is based in Los Angeles
The position reports directly to the National Executive Director (NED)
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for DGA’s non-partisan Political Action Committee (DGA PAC) and all its related activities.
- Participates in and implements the DGA’s legislative, regulatory and government policy priorities, goals and strategy.
- Oversees and manages the DGA’s professional lobbyists in Washington D.C.
- Makes recommendations to DGA PAC on political contribution and endorsements
- Represents DGA at political events
- In addition to the specific job responsibilities, the staff member will perform other tasks as requested.
- Leads analysis of proposed legislative actions, determines the potential impact on the DGA and develops appropriate responses.
- Attends National Board and Council meetings as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 3-5 years political and/or union experience
- Superior ability to exercise excellent political judgment and discretion.
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral) and ability to present and facilitate meetings with diverse participation.
- A goal-driven, detail-oriented self-starter and problem-solver with ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Acute political savvy and excellent analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple high priority projects with competing deadlines.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: The DGA offers excellent benefits, including Employer-provided health benefits (including medical, dental and vision), both defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans, and a staff Retirement Health and a Staff 401K Plan.
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary expectations to email@example.com
The DGA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job posted: 2021-05-23