Public Affairs Director
Public Affairs Director
Health Industry Distributors Association – Alexandria, VA 22314
The Health Industry Distributors Association (HIDA) is the trade association representing medical products distributors. HIDA members deliver essential medical products such as Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), testing supplies, infection prevention products and surgical supplies to the nation’s hospitals, nursing homes, laboratories, home care, and physician practices.
Established in 1902, HIDA is a leading voice on matters important to the healthcare distribution industry as well as the healthcare supply chain as a whole. HIDA offices are located in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia and operates on a 3 days in-office, 2 days remote schedule.
The Health Industry Distributors Association (HIDA), an Old Town Alexandria trade association representing healthcare product suppliers, is seeking an experienced professional with a track record of success to fill the Director of Public Affairs position. This position will support advocacy efforts in Washington DC by communicating with policy makers, association members and healthcare industry leaders. The Director will lead the development and implementation of communication strategies to advance the value of healthcare distribution and to support HIDA’s policy positions.
Primary job duties include:
- Develops and implements public affairs strategy to advance HIDA’s policy agenda.
- Supports key policy initiatives through grassroots campaigns, media coverage, op-eds, letters to the editor and social content.
- Develops and implements effective communications campaigns to inform and educate members of Congress, their staff members, agency leaders, and other policymakers.
- Creates infographics, white papers, op-eds, articles and other resources to support HIDA’s messages.
- Manages digital campaigns to support policy objectives.
- Promotes the value of healthcare distribution to industry and media, positioning distributors as trusted partners to providers and government
- Develops key messages and creates plans to ensure that these messages are effectively disseminated through various means including magazine, e-newsletters, and social media
- Prepares various resources to support the value of distribution, including infographics, presentations, white papers, case studies, and other materials.
- Develops content for HIDA’s web pages, including its “Streamlining Healthcare” website, to promote distribution value; ensures that information is compelling and up to date
- Works with other associations and event managers to include content related to the value of distribution on event programs and in media
- Writes and disseminates news releases to support industry and government messaging.
- Develops talking points and other resources to support media relations.
- Pitches op-eds and messages to reporters and creates earned media coverage.
- Builds positive exposure for distribution, for HIDA, and for its members.
- Monitors relevant media coverage and recommends appropriate response.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
The Director of Public Affairs must be a strategic thinker, have exceptional writing and messaging skills, and have a demonstrated ability to take initiative and carry projects through to completion. He/she must have a collaborative, collegial work style and an ability to coordinate, implement, and manage multiple high-priority advocacy strategies simultaneously.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5+ years’ experience in government affairs, advocacy communications, and/or media relations.
- Demonstrated success significantly influencing legislative outcomes in prior roles.
- Proven ability to conceive and execute effective political advocacy strategies.
- Strong editing and writing experience.
- Track record for earned media; previous success getting content such as op-eds placed in media outlets
- Experience leading digital and social media projects desired.
- Healthcare industry knowledge/experience highly desired; familiarity with healthcare supply chain a major plus.
- Business courses and/or experience also very helpful.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional writing and editing skills; able to craft communication pieces that are meaningful to and easily understood by targeted audiences.
- The ability to quickly understand industry issues and define their potential impact on association members, their customers, and the overall industry.
- The ability to grasp and communicate both qualitative and quantitative information.
- Excellent prioritization and organizational skills; keen attention to detail, the ability to work under deadline pressure while managing multiple projects and priorities.
- Thorough understanding of congressional and cabinet policy-making processes, including the roles and decision points in the US Senate and House as well as executive agencies.
- The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs into concise and credible messages to the highest levels of government and business.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to understand diverging points of view within the industry and quickly build consensus on strategy.
- The ability to work collaboratively as an integral part of an action-oriented team across multiple departments.
- Commitment to demonstrating core HIDA work values per the Employee Manual.
- Good judgement and discretion.
- Projects a highly professional image in appearance, demeanor, communication and presentation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
Please send cover letter and resume to recruiter@HIDA.org
Job posted: 2021-09-14