Public Affairs Specialist
ARA’s Public Affairs Specialist works with the U.S. Air Force’s 363rd ISR Wing to develop, manage, and implement multi-media communications, internal communications, and strategic communication plans to inform internal and external organizations of the wing’s activities. Qualified candidates will develop print and web-based materials to inform users, partners, opinion leaders, and a growing social media audience about the 363 ISRW’s culture and mission.
ARA is looking for quick-witted, entrepreneurial, and intellectually curious people to join the team. Candidates must combine creativity with strong organizational skills to keep up with the wing’s fast-paced environment. Management of multiple projects against tight deadlines is routine. Ideal candidates will be enthusiastic self-starters who can work cross-functionally to develop innovative communication products.
This is a part-time (20 hours per week) position requiring on-site and telework. Some travel is required.
Public Affairs Specialist Responsibilities:
- Team-Player: Work closely with higher headquarters public affairs officers and wing senior leaders to build proactive media campaigns that highlight the wing’s impact on the nation’s defense
- Storyteller: Communicate technical concepts into coherent and easy-to-understand communications products, including regular outreach to government press, and other organizational partners
- Strategic Communicator: Assist in developing and executing the wing’s strategic communication plan.
- Writer: Author and/or edit articles for publication
- Multimedia: Develop content for and maintain the wing’s webpage and social media accounts to support the wing’s communication strategy (multimedia may include audio, video, photography, graphic design, and other online products)
- Ensure wing compliance with Air Force, Joint, and DoD directives and guidance
- Develop and maintain close, productive relationships with the 363 ISRW workforce, external defense organizations, and key partners
Public Affairs Specialist Required Skill Sets:
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- Master’s Degree in journalism, communications, public affairs, or some other related field along with 10 or more years’ of related experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with 18 years’ experience may be substituted in lieu of the Master’s Degree requirement
- Experience writing, editing, and designing multimedia projects
- Experience using A/V equipment and planning event coverage
- Experience in photography, videography, graphic design, editing multimedia, AP style writing, social media management, and strategic communication plan development and execution
- Extensive experience using Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with key personnel
- Ability to solve problems and be flexible
- Must have experience with DoD and/or Government organizations
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1,100 professionals and continues to grow. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is highly impressive too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), a benefits package, relocation opportunities, and challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norms. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels.
ARA is passionate about inclusion and diversity in our workplace. In 2018 40% of our new employees voluntarily self-identified as protected veterans. (Source-AAP EOY 2018 Veterans Data Collection Report). Additionally, the Southeast Division looks not only for the right skills but also for a cultural fit. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes ARA such a great place to work. Some of the social impact aspects we have implemented at our division include monthly get-togethers, team outings to local baseball games in the summer, board game lunches, holiday party, corn hole tournaments, chili cook-offs and so on. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women in order to maximize career and professional accomplishments. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-17