Public Affairs Specialist
JRC Integrated Systems is an award-winning workplace and recognized as one of Greater Washington’s Best Places to Work as well as a Top Work Place in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. Headquartered in Washington, DC with operations in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts, New York, and Virginia – JRC is a leading provider of scientific, engineering, management and technical support to the Department of Defense and other federal agencies. Since its inception in 2003, JRC has supported numerous federal initiatives by providing the expertise necessary to provide programmatic support in areas of program management, systems engineering, data analysis, strategic business planning and business operations.
JRC is currently seeking a Public Affairs Specialist. This position will have primary responsibility to provide strategic communications support for the SWS Program. This position will work closely with the US Navy Strategic Systems Program (SSP). A minimum SECRET security clearance is required.
JRC offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive benefits package.
The primary role for this Public Affairs Specialist is to provide public affairs support for SSP by assisting with executing public affairs tasks, including writing assignments, administrative functions, and tracking actions for the Public Affairs Officer (PAO). The position may also assist in supporting and tracking legislative affairs issues, assist in building Congressional Reference Material such as lists/maps of members with SSP equities in their districts in support of the Congressional Affairs Officer (CAO).
The Ideal Candidate will:
- At least five years of experience in public affairs and media relations for a government organization
- Have knowledge of Strategic Systems Programs and its mission
- Be experienced in developing and managing strategic communication plans
- Be able to coordinate with major SSP industry partners
- Be experienced in liaising between multiple DoD Programs and external entities
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience in Public Affairs
Speechwriting & Engagement Support for PAO and CAO
Draft DIRSSP Remarks for PAO/CAO approval. Assist with development of a new action tracker for public and congressional engagements. Coordinate logistics and visit requests with SP00 Front Office. Support development of and track External Engagement information.
Facilitate Public Release & Security Review Process support
Track Requests & shepherd through the process, and present for PAO approval. Assist PAO with development of a new public release process.
News Clips, Legislation, and References Gathering / Compilations
Assist with developing plan for breaking news coverage / google alerts etc. Track legislation of interest and maintain awareness on status and Maintain reference binders for DIRSSP and senior leadership.
Website content update
Catalog a site map and content binder for SSP PAO review. Do staff level work in support of SSP PAO on circulating for review/changes. Interface with webmaster on updates.
Demonstration and Shakedown Operations (DASO) Public Affairs and Guest Ops
Assist with DASO guest ops planning and assist with updating DASO content and products.
DIRSSP Monthly email support
Brainstorm topics and gather data and input from relevant SSP divisions.
- STRONG WRITING SKILLS ARE A MUST: Drafting material including media talking points, responses to media queries, presentations, speeches, press releases, online content (including social media), fact sheets, and opinion pieces.
- Developing relationships with media, other public affairs officers, and special interest groups.
- Clearly and accurately communicating information to media, special interest groups, and the public as an agency spokesperson.
- Analyzing and coordinating messages and information from numerous internal subject matter experts, senior leaders, and partner agencies, and synthesizing into content and materials for distribution to media and public.
- Evaluating media reporting and public narratives to asses potential impact to program and making recommendations on corrective actions.
- Developing and managing digital media platform presence and content, including websites and social media platforms.
- Experience with regular direct client interactions in support of project delivery, delivering presentations, leading client meetings, and working independently, creatively, and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Skilled in Administration/Management and project oversight. Managing long term projects and development and execution of communication plans.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in MS Office suite of tools
- Demonstrate a willingness to work in a team environment with little direction, and the ability to work independently while prioritizing and supporting multiple tasks.
- Working knowledge of writing principles, classification requirements, and conventions and of the documentation process specific to DoD.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-27