Senior Director, Communications
Senior Director, Communications
The Senior Director, Communications is responsible for providing strategic vision and leadership for AWEA’s communications efforts to drive positive perception of brand and reputation. The incumbent will implement a multi-platform, comprehensive communications strategy to build AWEA brand awareness including an ongoing earned media program with an emphasis on policy and trade press and influencers, and a content and engagement strategy for digital and social media channels, managing and generating value from AWEA’s website. This position oversees media relations activities by developing strategic communication plans, maximizing industry coverage by the news media; overseeing rapid response efforts; producing collateral material; and organizing, promoting, and staffing media events. This position reports to the Vice President of Public Affairs, leads a staff team and oversees contractors, and serves as a primary spokesperson for AWEA.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Develop multi-platform comprehensive media strategies designed to strengthen AWEA’s brand, advance policy issues, increase public awareness of the wind industry, and effectively neutralize or reframe unfavorable news.
- Develop and manage the implementation of AWEA’s thought leadership strategy to position executive staff and policy experts as influencers within policy and media circles. Prepare senior leadership for speaking opportunities and media interviews include media training, drafting talking points, preparing briefing materials, writing speeches, and staffing senior leadership at events.
- Build and maintain press relationships, pitching stories to the news media, managing media inquiries, organizing press conferences and outreach events, and drafting, posting, and distributing news releases and other content.
- Develop editorial calendars, content calendars, and editorial content. Oversee the development of supportive collateral materials such as info graphics, videos, animations, and other press materials. Provide quality control over written materials intended for key external stakeholders. Coordinate press releases.
- Manage AWEA’s social media platforms, blog, and significant portions of AWEA’s website. Managed the building of relationships with a wide variety of partner organizations, member companies, outside writers and bloggers to create new platforms for AWEA’s messages and advance communications that benefit the wind industry.
- Manage AWEA’s Rapid Response program including identifying, educating, and building relationships with a variety of allied voices and third-party validators.
- Incorporate findings from research including polls and focus groups into communication messages and strategies.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strategic communications acumen and a deep understanding of media and news cycles. Experience creating and influencing media narratives.
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills for communicating to various audiences. Must be persuasive and also an empathetic, respectful listener with strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Relationship building at all levels of organizations and particularly with media connections.
- Experience in broadcast media, booking interviews and preparing spokespeople for interviews.
- Experience organizing press events, conference calls, and panel discussions.
- Familiarity with message research methods including experience drafting surveys and focus group discussion guides. Skilled at tracking and analyzing metrics and trends to assess and improve performance.
- Adept at working with and supporting senior management; able to provide counsel, listen, and take direction.
- Strategic planning and team leadership to chart a smart course and drive results. Demonstrated ability to guide, coach, and motivate a team. Able to collaborate well across teams and across organizations.
- Ability to prioritize effectively and handle competing pressures in a highly dynamic environment.
- Willingness to travel.
Education and/or Experience
AWEA is seeking applicants who reflect and understand our core values: We HEART Wind Energy, The Truth Prevails, Together We Succeed, and Ahead of the Curve. Qualified applicants may possess any combination of education and experience enabling them to successfully perform the responsibilities of the position. Preferred qualifications are: Bachelor’s degree or higher in a communications, journalism, or political field of study, and 10-15 years of strategic communications experience, ideally with significant experience with advocacy, policy, media relations, journalism or politics.
To apply: Send how you heard about this job, cover letter, salary requirement, start date availability, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (use “Senior Director, Communications” in subject line) or mail to AWEA, 1501 M Street NW, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20005; Attention: Human Resources.
AWEA is Metro accessible and provides a generous benefit package. To learn more visit www.awea.org.
AWEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job posted: 2019-09-18