Senior Director, Corporate Affairs
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Senior Director, Corporate Affairs will lead a team in contributing to and coordinating the development and implementation of a range of corporate affairs strategies aligned with the company’s priorities to drive outcomes. This individual will work cross-functionally across Business Units and be responsible for leading the strategy of the public relations, government affairs, and patient advocacy functions to support and enhance the company’s corporate reputation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee global corporate and media relations, including strategy, development, and execution of proactive communications programs to raise awareness of Exact Sciences, marketed tests, emerging pipeline worldwide and business development deals.
- Ensure the development and execution of short- and long-term corporate communications strategies are aligned with commercial operating plans.
- Lead a team to support the business units to ensure that the communication of corporate and product/service messaging is consistent across customer groups/stakeholders and aligned with the board-approved corporate priorities.
- Collaborate with the marketing and other commercial teams in developing and communicating the value of Exact Sciences products, services, and pipeline at a corporate level.
- Oversee crisis communication plan and anticipate potential communications liabilities while taking the relevant steps to protect the company.
- Work with members of the management team to set strategy for the community relations function for Exact Sciences, which seeks to connect long-range business strategy, corporate brand and talent strategy with strategic community partnerships (local government, non-profit, academic, etc.) and initiatives.
- Develop and execute comprehensive advocacy strategies, including, but not limited to, third party organizations to shape government legislative and regulatory activity to strengthen advocacy efforts at the local level to drive favorable resolution to those matters.
- Advise and coach the leadership team and stakeholders on communicating messages in order to advance and protect the company’s reputation.
- Cultivate relationships with advocacy groups, national and targeted media, and stakeholders to advance Exact Sciences’ business interests.
- Effectively establish and oversee strategy, tactics, and processes in partnership with key internal and external teams to deliver effective, measurable, and scalable programs that intercept, educate, and activate multiple audiences as our business continues to grow.
- Oversee federal and state government and legislative affairs for Exact Sciences. Collaborating with Government Affairs leaders and team and develop and implement a comprehensive government affairs strategy.
- Supervise staff; including, but not limited to, organize and prioritize work, write/conduct performance reviews, train/develop, and manage work performance.
- Communicate goals clearly to employees to ensure understanding and success in achieving them.
- Motivate and inspire employees to do their best work through coaching.
- Maintain morale and support employee engagement initiatives.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability and means to travel between Madison locations.
- Ability to travel 25% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, public relations, or related field.
- 15+ years of experience working in communications and/or public relations role in a highly-regulated industry.
- 10+ years of experience leading or directing people and/or project teams.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Job posted: 2020-07-24