Senior Director, Federal Government Affairs
America’s Blood Centers (ABC), North America’s largest network of community-based, independent blood programs, is seeking a Senior Director, Federal Government Affairs. The position is a key senior management role and will lead the day-to-day activities of an expanding advocacy team. The position will be actively involved and accountable for the development, prioritization, tracking, communication, and accomplishment of public policies impacting ABC members at the federal level. The position will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer, providing strategic guidance on government affairs and public policy issues pertaining to the nation’s blood supply.
- Represent ABC before the U.S Congress and key federal agencies, building and maintaining strong relationships and improving the visibility of ABC member centers.
- Work closely with the CEO, Chief Medical Officer, and Government Relations team to define ABC’s public policy and advocacy focus and develop positions and strategies on legislative, policy, and regulatory priorities.
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive and coordinated strategy to leverage direct lobbying, grassroots advocacy, and coalition building in the advancement of ABC’s Advocacy Agenda.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with external stakeholders, including other associations, patient groups, and industry suppliers, to advance ABC’s policy objectives.
- Regularly monitor and analyze health-related legislation and regulation, providing high-quality verbal and written reports, comment letters, position statements, talking points, and other materials.
- Liaison to the ABC Public Policy Committee, including identifying and conducting research on topics of relevance to blood centers, producing position papers and statements, promoting the involvement and solicitation of input from ABC members, and facilitating in-person meetings and conference calls.
- Assist in the development of educational opportunities for ABC members related to advocacy, including advocacy content and programs for ABC meetings and workshops.
- Provide support and counsel to ABC members, senior staff, and the CEO; advise senior officers on all related matters of interest and concern to the Association.
- Work on special projects and other duties as required helping to promote the association’s success.
- Travel Requirements: local, plus domestic travel accounting for 5-10% of the year.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum 5 years of combined Capitol Hill, Executive Branch, government relations, and/or public policy experience.
- Thorough understanding of the federal legislative and regulatory processes and landscape.
- Knowledge of and experience in health policy, including Medicare and public health issues.
- Strong working relationships with members of Congress and staff.
- Strong written and oral communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills, detailed oriented.
- Self-motivated and goal oriented.
- Ability to multitask and determine priorities.
- Ability to manage and work as part of teams.
This position is based in Washington D.C.
America’s Blood Centers employs talented individuals whose passion, drive and skills are necessary to fulfill our mission. America’s Blood Centers offers a salary commensurate with experience as well as an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, LTD, and 401k contribution. We are a hybrid virtual office that promotes a flexible work environment. Applicants must be able to maintain a safe, separate workspace in which they can complete their work that is free from distraction and limits accessibly by non-employees and live in an area where they can obtain reliable internet service. This is a full-time staff position including benefits and a stipend for internet and telephone services.
America’s Blood Centers prohibits discrimination and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Job posted: 2019-04-06