Senior Director, Federal Government Affairs
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Candidate will support and advance Abbott’s interests before U.S. Congress, federal agencies, policymakers, and trade/business associations.
Candidate will be responsible for public policy analysis and strategy formulation for all Abbott businesses. Candidate will develop Abbott positions, and lead Abbott’s efforts in influencing proposed policies, legislation, regulations, and programs.
A successful candidate will proactively assess trends, policies and emerging issues and can develop and implement strategic plans to effectively address issues that impact all Abbott business.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review and analyze legislative and executive branch/regulatory activities to assess the level of impact to the company.
- Develop strategic plans and recommendations to influence legislative and agency actions, and proactively identify opportunities for Abbott in the policy-making arena.
- Develop and successfully implement action plans by working with relevant stakeholders, including outside allies, coalitions and trade associations.
- Advance and protect Abbott interests and reputation with key government stakeholders and opinion leaders.
- Brief, and staff Abbott senior leadership during Washington D.C. policy-related meetings or visits by elected officials to Abbott facilities.
- University or Bachelor’s degree required. A Master’s degree in political science, public policy, public health, or MBA/JD is a plus.
- Ten years minimum in positions of increasing responsibility and experience in government affairs
- Involvement and success in influencing the development of policy, as well as knowledge of the political process, is required.
- Health care policy expertise, particularly with respect to FDA and CMS, is a plus
- Proven ability to interface well with key policy-makers, dignitaries, major association policy teams, organizations/coalitions and executives.
- Established track record of policy development, negotiation, and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects under deadline pressure.
- Proven ability to drive for results, motivate and positively influence individuals both inside and outside of the organization.
- Recognized team player who seeks to become an integral part of an industry-leading government affairs group.
- Demonstrated evidence of strong organizational skills, adept at managing complex array of projects/issues.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Reports directly to Divisional Vice President, Federal Government Affairs
- Requires some domestic travel
- Location: Washington DC
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-15