Senior Director, Federal Government Affairs
Takeda has maintained an unwavering dedication to put patients first for more than 235 years while we live our values of Takeda-ism—Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance. We are united by our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine.
We focus our research and development on the core therapeutic areas of oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, and on providing vaccines that address the most important infectious diseases. Novel products, especially in oncology and gastroenterology, as well as our presence in emerging markets, fuel our growth.
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Sr. Director, Federal Government Affairs in our Washington, DC office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Sr. Director, Federal Government Affairs working on the Public Affairs team, you will be empowered to develop, lead and oversee strategies at the federal level in support of the organization to further advance Takeda’s business goals and strategic priorities. A typical day will include:
- Leading a team and reporting to the Vice President of Public Affairs (United States), this role will be a key Takeda lead representative in Washington, DC and will serve as liaison for company executives, educating the leadership team of evolving rules, regulations and procedures of the various federal agencies that regulate the biopharmaceutical industry
- Develop, lead and oversee strategies at the federal level in support of the USBU, Oncology, Vaccines and R&D organization to further advance Takeda’s business goals and strategic priorities
- Lead strategy, development, and execution of tactical plans to influence Congress, the White House and related agencies in support Takeda’s identified priorities
- Build and maintain relationships on behalf of Takeda with elected leaders, and other key stakeholders to enable appropriate access to innovative bio-pharmaceuticals with a focus on Takeda’s products and to help position Takeda as world-class pharmaceutical company
- Ensure our organization is well-positioned to respond to regulatory inquiries, and be actively involved in drafting comment letters outlining Takeda’s response to key issues
- Ensure collaboration and cross-functional partnership with other members of the government affairs and policy team to ensure a consistent message across congressional, regulatory, and state and local advocacy efforts
- Support the external engagement of Takeda executives with elected officials and other key stakeholders within and around the federal government
- Build and maintain contacts and develop strong relationships with Cabinet-level executives, senior appointees and other key staff at agencies including OMB, HHS, CMS, FDA, and CDC to develop support for Takeda’s positions and priorities
- Represent Takeda at key meetings through attendance and/or representation to key meetings and events
- Cultivate relationships with PhRMA and other trade associations and participation in relevant staff-level work groups to advocate for Takeda’s desired objectives
- Lead lobbying effort on behalf of Takeda through the establishment and maintenance of professional trusted advisor relationships with Members of Congress, staff, executive branch and federal agency officials
- Execute and coordinate federal government affairs positions and strategies on legislative, policy and political regulatory issues impacting Takeda
- Advise Takeda leadership on appropriate business goals and strategies that may have impact to Takeda from federal legislative, executive, and regulatory activities
- Ensure internal departments are appropriately informed on issues that could impact Takeda’s business, and will work with the various departments to make sure they are fully leveraging Takeda’s government affairs capabilities so that the company is well positioned to work with the government to advance its mission
- Develop and execute proactive policy and strategic plans to influence legislation and federal agency actions for both corporate and business/product specific initiatives
- Increase leadership and business unit understanding of, and participation in the policy-making and political process on behalf of Takeda
- Collaborate with home office and business units for input on critical issues and involve appropriate executives to advance Takeda’s positions with policymakers
- Manage external lobbyists and consultants to effectively implement Takeda’s legislative, policy, and political strategies
- Partner with state government affairs on policy and legislative activities to leverage resources and enhance Takeda presence with policymakers
- Develop strategy to enhance Takeda’s branding and presence with elected leaders and key stakeholders in Washington DC and throughout the federal government
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree required, JD or MBA desirable
- Minimum 14 years’ experience in public affairs & policy, legal, marketing or sales with a minimum of 5 years in positions of increasing responsibility and experience in government affairs, public affairs or public policy in pharmaceutical/health care industry
- Demonstrated healthcare experience with Federal/State Legislative and Executive Branch regulatory and administrative processes
- Strong political acumen to effectively build sustainable relationships and establish positive corporate identity
- Proven contact network, involvement and success in influencing the development of federal legislation and strong knowledge of the Federal/State legislative and regulatory processes including understanding of Federal healthcare programs – i.e. Medicare/Medicaid, VA, DOD etc.
- Able to effectively interact with policymakers, executives and possess outstanding written, verbal and presentation skills to synthesize complex issues and persuasively articulate specific actions and initiatives
- Strong skills in assessing national trends and policies to identify and recommend appropriate strategies and action steps to protect and advance business interests
- Proven ability to build effective relationships with internal and external constituencies, including senior business leaders, regulatory officials, counterparts at other companies, and industry representation; and a skilled diplomat with a strong, positive executive presence
- Skilled at advocacy, influence and persuasion; able to convince others to act on information or recommendations based on compelling logic or common best interests
- Operational experience in pharmaceutical drug development with significant direct exposure to clinical development
- Frequent overnight travel required
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-02-26