Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director, State Government Affairs
What you’ll be doing:
• Establishes, develops, and maintains effective working relationships with state executive and legislative elected officials, key staff, trade associations and industry coalitions, and other third-party groups.
• Maintains comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of Altria Companies businesses in order to effectively identify, represent, and advocate company positions and interests before state bodies, key local jurisdictions, and as a member of applicable trade associations and other organizations.
• Research, analyze, and evaluate proposed and existing state and local legislations of importance to Altria Group and its family of companies, shareholders, employees, business partners, and adult consumers.
• Work with the Managing Director to prepare and present information and recommendations to the VP, State Government Affairs and the SVP, Government Affairs. Communicate directly with company executives in providing timely updates on status and progress of legislative regulatory issues. Clearly articulate political environment and dynamics to internal audiences.
• Effectively manage the Company’s contract lobbyists and other external consultants in the multi-state district.
• Serves as point for all Company legislative, political, and charitable activities within the district, and coordinate as appropriate with other functions within the Company.
• Maintain accurate budgets and reports with the District Assistant, including managing all charitable, non-charitable, and political contributions in the district.
• Serves as the individual responsible for all compliance requirements, strictly adhering to all internal and external requirements relating to activity in the district.
• Inform, engage, and negotiate with a broad and diverse group of internal and external partners to positively influence legislative and regulatory outcomes. Help develop state-specific talking points with colleagues.
• Build and manage industry and legislative coalitions to assist in accomplishing key objectives throughout the district.
What we want you to have:
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced education in related field (i.e. Law, Political Science) preferred.
• 7-10 years related experience.
• Understanding of state legislative process, political campaign process, and relationship development skills.
• Experience as a state level lobbyist preferred, but not required.
• Extensive knowledge of the state legislative process, ideally including local and regulatory processes.
• New England-specific state legislative or executive branch experience. Direct experience with House or Senate representatives as staff, or on committee, or in a leadership office.
• Very strong interpersonal, written, and presentation skills successfully applied in advocacy and negotiation roles. Ability to build trust and promote confidence.
• Ability to develop, coordinate, and execute comprehensive legislative strategies and tactics.
• Experience in managing external consultants.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and manage workload and time.
• Ability to be detail-oriented with high levels of accuracy on compliance-related activities.
• Must be able to perform the duties of a general office environment.
• Must be willing to travel frequently.
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our deferred profit sharing and incentive compensation programs as well as a relocation assistance package.
Altria has a leading portfolio of tobacco products for U.S. tobacco consumers 21+. Our tobacco companies – which have been the undisputed market leaders in the U.S. tobacco industry for decades – include some of the most enduring names in American business. In combustibles, we own Philip Morris USA, the maker of Marlboro cigarettes and John Middleton, manufacturer of Black & Mild cigars. Our smoke-free portfolio includes ownership of U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, the maker of Copenhagen and Skoal, and Helix Innovations, the maker of on! oral nicotine pouches. Additionally, we have a majority-owned joint venture with JT Group, Horizon Innovations, for the U.S. marketing and commercialization of heated tobacco stick products. Through a separate agreement with Philip Morris International, we have the exclusive U.S. commercialization rights to the IQOS* Tobacco Heating System® and Marlboro HeatSticks® through April 2024. Our equity investments include Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV, the world’s largest brewer and Cronos Group, a leading Canadian cannabinoid company. Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing individuals with criminal records, including formerly incarcerated individuals and individuals with conviction records, a fair chance at employment. Learn more about Altria at www.altria.com and follow us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
Job posted: 2023-04-26