Senior Director, State Government Affairs
Altria Government Affairs department in Sacramento, CA is currently seeking a highly qualified Senior Director, State Government Affairs to join our team. You will develop and implement state and local legislative and political strategies and programs on behalf of Altria Companies’ to protect and promote company interests in a defined multi-state district.
- Establishes, develops, and maintains effective working relationships with state executive and legislative elected officials, key staff, trade associations and industry coalitions, and other third-party groups.
- Maintains comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of Altria Companies businesses in order to effectively identify, represent, and advocate company positions and interests before state bodies, key local jurisdictions, and as a member of applicable trade associations and other organizations.
- Research, analyze, and evaluate proposed and existing state and local legislations of importance to Altria Group and its family of companies, shareholders, employees, business partners, and adult consumers.
- Work with the Managing Director to prepare and present information and recommendations to the VP, State Government Affairs and the SVP, Government Affairs. Communicate directly with company executives in providing timely updates on status and progress of legislative regulatory issues. Clearly articulate political environment and dynamics to internal audiences.
- Effectively manage the Company’s contract lobbyists and other external consultants in the multi-state district.
- Serves as point for all Company legislative, political, and charitable activities within the district, and coordinate as appropriate with other functions within the Company.
- Maintain accurate budgets and reports with the District Assistant, including managing all charitable, non-charitable, and political contributions in the district.
- Serves as the individual responsible for all compliance requirements, strictly adhering to all internal and external requirements relating to activity in the district.
- Inform, engage, and negotiate with a broad and diverse group of internal and external partners to positively influence legislative and regulatory outcomes. Help develop state-specific talking points with colleagues.
- Build and manage industry and legislative coalitions to assist in accomplishing key objectives throughout the district.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced education in related field (i.e. Law, Political Science) preferred.
- 7-10 years related experience.
- Understanding of state legislative process, political campaign process, and relationship development skills.
- Experience as a state level lobbyist preferred, but not required.
- Extensive knowledge of the state legislative process, ideally including local and regulatory processes.
- California-specific state legislative or executive branch experience. Direct experience with Assembly or Senate representatives as staff, or on committee, or in a leadership office.
- Very strong interpersonal, written, and presentation skills successfully applied in advocacy and negotiation roles. Ability to build trust and promote confidence.
- Ability to develop, coordinate, and execute comprehensive legislative strategies and tactics.
- Experience in managing external consultants.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage workload and time.
- Ability to be detail-oriented with high levels of accuracy on compliance-related activities.
- Must be able to perform the duties of a general office environment.
- Must be willing to travel frequently.
Altria Group is a FORTUNE 200 company that leads the premier tobacco companies in the United States. Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, Altria Group holds diversified positions across tobacco, alcohol, and cannabis. Our tobacco companies include some of the most enduring names in American business: Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton, and Nat Sherman. We have 35 percent ownership of JUUL Labs, Inc., the nation’s leading e-vapor company. And we have an 80% interest in Helix Innovations, which manufactures and markets on!, an oral tobacco-derived nicotine pouch product. We complement our total tobacco business with our ownership of Ste. Michelle Wine Estates and our significant equity investment in Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s largest brewer. Altria’s significant stake in Cronos Group, a leading global cannabinoid company, represents an exciting new global growth opportunity.
At Altria, we recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. It’s only through diverse perspectives and insights that we will be able to take on the important challenges we will face to dramatically transform our business – and our industry. The work opportunities and experiences, combined with training, development, and advancement programs, allow our employees to achieve their full potential and deliver superior business results. We have the opportunity to make more progress on harm reduction in the next 10 years than we have in the past 50 years. Join us as we work together to shape a better future for adult tobacco consumers, our employees, and our shareholders. Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer.
Job posted: 2020-10-30