Senior Government Affairs Associate
Position: Senior Government Affairs Associate (Registered Lobbyist)
Reports to: Director of Government Affairs
Location: Washington, DC (Currently Remote)
Start Date: Immediately
Are you interested in joining a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way Washington thinks and talks about Israel and U.S. Middle East policy? J Street’s Government Affairs team—named one of DC’s top lobbying operations by The Hill—is seeking an experienced legislative professional to help advance its advocacy strategy. The Senior Government Affairs Associate will support legislative and policy analysis while directly lobbying a key portfolio of Congressional offices.
The Senior Government Affairs Associate should be a dedicated team player, skilled communicator and highly organized self-starter who thrives on hitting ambitious goals and is excited by the challenge of changing the dynamics that shape the discussion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Congress, American politics and the American Jewish community.
J Street lobbyists have primary responsibility for building and managing relationships between the organization and Members of Congress. The incumbent will individually own that task for a key portfolio of Congressional offices.
Specifically, the candidate will be responsible for:
- Managing and directly lobbying a portfolio of Congressional offices by:
- deepening existing relationships and growing new ones between Members of Congress and J Street through timely, effective and appropriate use of the entire range of the organization’s advocates and assets;
- developing strategies for Member and Congressional staff engagement;
- being voracious in meeting and communicating with Members’ offices; and
- persuasively, confidently, clearly and knowledgeably communicating J Street policy views and issue information.
- Assisting the Director of Government Affairs and the Government Affairs team in:
- formulating and guiding execution of strategies and tactics to advance legislative and policy priorities;
- drafting, editing and analyzing legislative language;
- researching and drafting informational materials and statements related to J Street legislative and policy issues;
- maintaining up-to-date awareness and deep knowledge of relevant legislative initiatives and policy developments on our issue;
- ensuring successful execution of briefings, fly-ins, advocacy days and related events on Capitol Hill;
- lobbying Executive Branch officials; and
- ensuring compliance with lobbying disclosure, ethics and related rules.
- Providing legislative and policy support for other J Street departments, leaders, allied organizations and other stakeholders, by:
- liaising closely and regularly with other J Street departments and staff;
- providing updates to J Street leaders; and
- coordinating efforts with allied organizations.
Skills and Characteristics
Applicants should have the following skills and characteristics:
- 1-2 years of legislative or lobbying experience, preferably in a US Congressional office;
- Strong writing skills, particularly with respect to the drafting and editing of talking points, memos and policy statements;
- Solid verbal presentation skills, including comfort with public speaking;
- Familiarity with legislative procedure in both chambers of Congress;
- Sound political judgment;
- An understanding of how to grow relationships with Members of Congress and candidates for federal office, and how to identify opportunities for advancing the organization’s agenda;
- Eagerness to work with Members of Congress, Congressional and campaign staff, and grassroots and grasstops leaders;
- Excellent interpersonal skills — collaborative, collegial, emotionally intelligent and a great team player;
- Ability to work well and quickly under tight deadlines;
- Comfort with current business technology, online communications and data management;
- Willingness to travel once or twice a year (once the COVID pandemic has subsided), and to put in extended hours around large events such as the national conference; and
- A strong commitment to J Street’s mission.
The ideal candidate will also possess the following attributes:
- Strong legislative drafting and analysis skills; and
- A solid understanding of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and how it plays out in American politics.
More about J Street
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside Israel in peace and security.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $10 million organization with a national staff of more than 60. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in 8 cities including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, and Tel Aviv.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Advocating and demonstrating support for pro-Israel, pro-peace policies in Congress, the media and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this full-time position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Hours and duties may fluctuate based on J Street event and staff travel schedules. Our comprehensive benefits package includes paid vacation and sick leave, personal leave, generous parental leave, paid time off on many federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company-paid life insurance, a 401k program, commuter benefits, and a flexible spending account. This is a bargaining unit position.
We are excited to receive applications from a broad range of applicants as we grow our organization to better reflect the diversity of the communities who care about our mission. Please submit the items listed below by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Senior Government Affairs Associate” in the subject line:
- Cover Letter that explains why you are interested and qualified
- List of Three References
- Where you learned about this position
This position is available immediately. Applications are being accepted immediately and the position will be filled as quickly as possible.
J Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job posted: 2020-10-14