Senior Manager – Public Affairs
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senior Manager for its Public Affairs team to support its state advocacy communications, proactive media relations activities and broader departmental public affairs efforts.
The individual will work with colleagues across the Public Affairs team and across the organization to support the development, execution and tracking of public affairs and communications strategies and planning for key state advocacy priorities. These priorities are organizationally cross-cutting and require a high degree of organization and collaboration with internal stakeholders.
The Senior Manager will be responsible for:
- Assisting the state public affairs team with the development and execution of communications, public affairs and media strategies for state advocacy priorities;
- Closely monitoring, tracking and reporting activities, projects and work streams;
- Supporting proactive outreach to reporters and other external audiences and helping manage responses to media inquiries;
- Assisting the development, review and editing of blog posts, op-eds, press releases, statements, letters to the editor, social media content, pre-event briefings, reports and presentations, among other materials;
- Collaborating with the State Advocacy and Advocacy & Strategic Alliances teams on their legislative, grassroots and third-party activities, including providing communications and messaging support;
- Aligning closely with other departments, including attending inter-departmental meetings, understanding advocacy goals/objectives, managing issues proactively and responding to requests promptly.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive self-starter who is passionate about access to medicines and contributing to the health care challenges we face today. The preferred candidate will bring a “campaign mentality” and excellent writing skills, with the ability to convey content in an audience-appropriate manner. The successful candidate must be focused, a self-starter, organized, detail-oriented, responsive, mature and diplomatic. Other key success factors for this role include strong interpersonal skills and team focus paired with the ability to work independently and under short timelines. The successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly and be comfortable in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- 3+ years communications experience;
- Experience managing or supporting campaigns, projects, tasks, requests and timelines involving complex issues;
- Experience within corporate, government, public relations agency, trade association, and/or advocacy organization(s) or political campaigns;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to assess complex problems and propose possible solutions;
- A results-oriented team player with a commitment to exceptional quality of work;
- Must be comfortable working for a non-partisan organization
- Must be willing to travel up to 25% of the time, and be responsive/available after hours and on weekends
- Health care issue experience, preferably in a political, advocacy or regulatory environment;
- Political and/or trade association experience
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $79.6 billion in 2018 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
To apply, click on the link below:
Job posted: 2019-08-25