Senior Manager, Strategic Communications
Best Friends Animal Society is seeking a Senior Manager of Strategic Communications (SMSC) to lead the development and implementation of a communications strategy to drive decision-maker and public opinion on key issues critical to Best Friends’ 2025 campaign – to end the killing of dogs and cats in U.S. shelters by 2025.
The SMSC will play a key role in progressing Best Friends thought leadership position, focused on identifying and disseminating strategic messaging to media, policy makers, and other influencers and decision makers. The position will work closely with Best Friends’ Office of the CEO, and Directors of Advocacy, PR, Marketing, and Programs to identify priorities and synchronize efforts. The SMSC will guide the strategy for thought leadership efforts across various channels.
Candidates should have a strong grasp of strategic messaging and communications, media relations, crisis communications, and project management to meet deadlines and ensure objectives are achieved. Experience working on political or issues-based campaigns at a high level communications role is preferred.
- Develop an ongoing strategy, key message development, and tactical plan for Best Friends’ thought leadership platform that increases influencer visibility and engagement around Best Friends work and critical issues
- Initiate research and testing to identify key influencers and audiences, and the messaging that resonates with them around priority advocacy and programmatic issues
- Oversee and inform direction of Best Friends’ primary thought leadership platforms, including blog and select social media channels
- Provide strategic guidance to internal stakeholders on how to sync communications goals with other channels and departments
- Work with stakeholders to proactively identify and pursue new opportunities and ways to influence public opinion and advance Best Friends’ programmatic objectives
- Collaborate with Best Friends’ PR team and outside agencies to develop and execute media plans that advance the thought leadership strategy (and where relevant, crisis issues); develop and cultivate strategic relationships with reporters and other media contacts
- Collaborate closely with the Legislative and Advocacy team to understand their priorities and goals, and craft effective political/campaign messaging based on needs at both state and local levels
- Work Best Friends’ Creative and Communication teams to develop and disseminate materials and tool kits for strategic messaging
- Stay abreast of key issues and trends in the news and influential media sites, and develop strategy and response accordingly.
- Create rapid-response materials and backgrounders; circulate key messaging and narratives customized to different audiences
- Manage and provide mentorship to staff members on the SMSC’s team
- 8-10 years of experience in strategic communications, crisis communications and media relations. Experience in political or policy campaigns in a communications leadership role is required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, journalism, or similar field
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing comprehensive communications strategies
- Excellent news sense with experience pitching stories and placing opinion pieces and issue-based stories in major news outlets
- Strong story teller with an ability to weave together threads of information, identify trends and translate data
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and an ability to distill complex policy into accessible and digestible language that gets noticed.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, make decisions in a fast-pace environment, and adapt to rapidly changing conditions.
- Must be able to work productively with a broad range of colleagues and stakeholders across the country. Candidate must be willing and able to work collaboratively.
- Strong sense of discretion and good judgment in dealing with sensitive information and issues
- Ability to travel throughout the year (Covid-dependent).
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-21