Senior Vice President of Communications
Responsible for corporate communications and messages as well as development and implementation of USDEC’s overall communications strategy, directing communications to promote, enhance and protect USDEC’s image and the image of U.S. Dairy in the domestic and overseas markets. Serves as an integral member of the senior management team, reporting to the chief operating officer.
Manage USDEC communications aimed at all facets of the U.S. dairy industry – farmer-funders, members, U.S. suppliers, media influencers and other important stakeholders
- Develop, market and distribute information of interest and relevance to the broader dairy industry through The U.S. Dairy Exporter Blog and other content published on usdec.org
- Develop and publish business-relevant materials for members such as Global Dairy eBrief, Global Dairy eBrief Exclusives, special member communiques from the CEO,
- Seek to broaden and deepen support for USDEC and the dairy export program through dairy farmer media outreach
- Establish USDEC as a credible source of information on issues of importance to USDEC members as well as the broader industry
- Manage press releases and media inquiries.
- Manage and coordinate the activities of contractors responsible for developing communications
Support USDEC trade policy efforts through education outreach to top-tier regional, national and international media and their thought-leader readership
- Target specific media with proactive messaging and information on USDEC trade policy positions and the impact of trade on the entire dairy supply chain.
- Provide reactive statements to media to clarify USDEC positions and the impact of trade on entire dairy supply chain when needed.
- Become a valuable source of information to media to provide background on dairy’s trade positions
Oversee the establishment and maintenance of an issue and crisis response system in key and sensitive markets
- Continue to refine and strengthen an international issues and crisis management system to protect U.S. dairy exports through workshops and trainings for USDEC staff and members
- Customize USDEC’s response plan for U.S. Dairy’s largest and most sensitive markets
- Serve on U.S. Dairy’s Dairy Communications Management Team and Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy’s Communications Committee
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree in Communication, Public Relations, Business or other relevant educational disciplines related to the role.
- 7-10 years of increasing responsibility in the area of communications and public relations with a focus on agriculture and / or dairy.
- Experience working with a high-level principal.
- Experience working with the media and advising on media outreach/reaction.
- Previous experience working with international teams and markets.
- Experience in either or both the legislative and executive branch.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills
- Well organized with ability to develop and guide a comprehensive outreach/reaction plan and manage a small team.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Understanding of agriculture and/or the dairy industry.
- Knowledge of and experience handling issues management and crisis preparedness.
- Good political acumen
- Able to manage multiple consultants and ensuring alignment.
USDEC offers competitive benefits, a generous 401(k) program, and a collaborative culture.
The U.S. Dairy Export Council (USDEC) is a non-profit, independent membership organization that represents the global trade interests of U.S. dairy producers, proprietary processors and cooperatives, ingredient suppliers and export traders. Dairy Management Inc. founded USDEC in 1995 and, through the dairy checkoff program, is the organization’s primary funder. USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service provides export activity support, and membership dues fund the Council’s trade policy and lobbying activities. Go to www.USDEC.org to learn more about U.S. Dairy Export Council®
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements. Thank you.
U.S. Dairy Export Council® is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-03