Sr. Communications Specialist
The Sr. Communications Specialist will coordinate our internal and external communications while managing a variety of projects with competing deadlines. In collaboration with our multimedia and communications specialists, ensure the timely delivery of our internal Shipbuilder Magazine, and execution of shipyard and community events. Project management is a required strength, from initiating contact with participants, to securing appropriate approvals, is an essential function of this position.
This individual will support GD NASSCO’s PR/Communication efforts, reporting to the Manager of Communications and Strategic Outreach. The Sr. Communications Specialist will utilize broad expertise and unique knowledge to lead and execute assignments related to internal and external communications, ship milestone events and inter-departmental cohesion. They will assist the department head with creating a strategy to improve the company’s brand/image, support the NASSCO business strategy, and engage employees. The Sr. Specialist will also assist with management of the company intranet and website, as well as the department budget.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Collaborative and team oriented with the ability to work across all levels of the organization.
- Effective communication skills with the ability to engage internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate employee announcements with updates to NASSCO Text Notification System (Trumpia and AlertMedia).
- Serve as an alternate to the manager on GD corporate calls and projects.
- Monitor and route incoming emails from firstname.lastname@example.org (includes reactions to internal announcements, charitable contribution requests and general messages)
- Manage the NASSCO intranet and website in collaboration with department leads as a business and communications tool.
- Assist the communications specialist with the timely delivery of the Shipbuilder.
- Develop and assist with presentations and written materials that support the company needs aligned with departmental goals.
- Help ensure consistent messaging across all communications.
- Coordinates check requests, expense reports and other department financials.
- Coordinates shipyard tours for vip’s, recruiting efforts and other various requests.
- Serve as backup to multimedia specialist on printing requests (Adobe Illustrator)
- Remain current on issues relating to internal NASSCO activities, other GD business units and the customer/supplier communities.
- Assist manager in evaluating the effectiveness of current communications efforts.
- Assist in facilitating the effective flow of information in and among all levels of employees and management that supports organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop processes that encourage a professional approach to communications and the requests the department receives from other groups for assistance.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of communications, project management or relevant discipline/industry experience preferred.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and an understanding of effective communications based on educational background or job-related experience.
- Strong project management skills including prioritization of multiple tasks and deliverables with minimal supervision
- Strong research and writing skills, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and within a dynamic team environment.
- Ability to mentor communications specialists or department interns, and manage day-to-day operations when Manager is unavailable.
- Spanish language proficiency, shipyard experience, or military background a plus.
- Sound editorial judgment in discerning what info is published internally and what is shared externally
- Solid knowledge of grammar and style.
- Computer software skills: Photoshop, Adobe illustrator, In Design, WordPress, MS products, etc.
- Comfort with managing multiple, aggressive deadlines.
- Experience writing communications for corporation, including speeches, reports, articles, press releases, web a benefit.
- Experience designing Web sites, publications a benefit.
Must be physically able to commute to various areas in shipyard. Specific visions abilities required by this job include, close vision, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to dust and smoke. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
General Dynamics NASSCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
To learn more about applicant rights under federal law, click here:
If you have a disability that impacts your ability to complete the job application process and would like to request an accommodation, please contact our Human Resources Department.
Call (619) 544-8511 or email email@example.com. This contact information is for accommodation requests only, not to inquire about the status of applications.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-01