State Government Relations Manager
What you’ll be doing…
- Manage legislative review process by conducting preliminary legislative analysis and obtaining feedback from internal Verizon subject matter experts.
- Review thousands of diverse bills to assess impact on Verizon.
- Serve as subject matter expert and primary contact for lobbyists and business units on a wide range of issues as well as questions regarding legislative procedure, calendar, bill status and bill volume statistics.
- Conduct research on a diverse array of legislative, public policy, corporate and other topics using online resources.
- Distill research results into clear and concise reports of findings for use by lobbyists and the business.
- Develop partnerships with Verizon experts. Create and update subject matter expert list for use by state lobbyists.
- Monitor state/local legislative activity on a daily basis, report on selected issues as needed and identify trends and emerging issues.
- Prepare issue overviews, tutorials and webinars for the state lobbying teams and other business units.
- Manage the online information resources for the State Government Affairs and state lobbyists (Statenet and Lexis/Nexis, MultiState Local Tracking Service) to cost-effectively cover key issues for Verizon. Manage relationship with vendors (including contract negotiation and administration), Verizon Sourcing and state lobbyists. Perform daily quality control to maintain accuracy of online bill files by reviewing categorization of all bills. Ensure new and emerging issues are included in contracts at minimal cost. Create issue specific-files as needed to track bills important to Verizon.
What we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 6years of experience in state and municipal government relations within state/local government or at a law firm, corporation or association.
- High level of expertise in legislative and legal research, analyzing legislation, redlining legislation & preparing 50-state surveys of state/local legislation
- Skilled in searching Lexis/Nexis, Statenet and local legislative tracking systems
- In-depth understanding of state and local legislative procedure
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrated communications skills, both verbal and written, to succinctly present findings
Even better if you have:
- Masters in Library Science with concentration in legal research and research experience in a law firm or corporate library.
- ABA approved paralegal studies certificate.
- Highest level of personal integrity
- Ability to dive into an unfamiliar issue and conduct research to identify legislation or laws on point
- Self-starter and evidence of intellectual curiosity
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment on a wide array of legislative and public policy issues.
- Strong organizational and planning skills required
- Ability to work with all levels of management
- Broad knowledge of Verizon operations and business functions
When you join Verizon…
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees’ differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-04-27