Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs
The Greater New Orleans Foundation has been a trusted philanthropic leader in the 13-parish Greater New Orleans region for nearly 100 years. Our vision is to create a vibrant, sustainable, and just region for all and our mission is to drive positive impact through philanthropy, leadership, and action. As a community foundation, our resources are comprised of more than 900 charitable funds established by individuals, businesses, and organizations with a passion for charitable giving and a deep commitment to the Greater New Orleans region. As a civic leader, we bring together passionate people from nonprofits, business, government, and philanthropy to address our region’s greatest challenges.
The Foundation is an inspiring, engaging, challenging, thought-provoking, diverse and dynamic place to work and advance your career. We pride ourselves on investing in high-quality staff members and encouraging success by allowing individuals the opportunity to both contribute and enhance their skills and talents as well as to share their unique perspectives as we address community challenges. Our workplace environment nurtures a diverse team and results in a broad base of staff knowledge and talent.
The Greater New Orleans Foundation seeks a Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs responsible for the Foundation’s internal and external communications, print and electronic communications, public affairs, and branding. The Vice President for Communications and Public affairs should be passionate about improving the Greater New Orleans region and celebrating the impact of philanthropy. The Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs is a seasoned leader and communicator with unrelenting drive, community commitment, and collaborative spirit. The Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs is a member of the Executive team and will report to the President and CEO of the Foundation.
· Develop and implement a communications plan aligned with the strategic direction of the Foundation, including measurable outcomes.
· Lead communications-related initiatives to support Foundation-level strategic planning.
· Work with Foundation senior leaders to align all messaging and ensure an integrated approach to the Foundation’s outreach efforts.
· Regularly communicate with Foundation team members and across departments in order to maintain a continuous understanding of all initiatives within the organization and develop strategies to elevate the Foundation’s work.
· Manage Communications and Public Affairs department staff and budget to ensure initiatives are in line with available resources.
Branding and Marketing
· Develop and execute innovative storytelling strategies and compelling content creation to advance the Foundation’s brand identity and broaden awareness of its priorities.
· Formalize and manage a holistic content creation schedule across all distribution channels to ensure consistent messaging reaches a diverse set of audiences and expands the brand’s presence in the digital space.
· Manage the production and upkeep of all brand and marketing collateral, including but not limited to the Annual Report, brand guidelines, the website, and any additional stakeholder- and public-facing publications as necessary. Ensure that all outputs from the Communications and Public Affairs department are of exemplary quality.
Public Affairs Management
· Develop and implement an overarching public affairs agenda for the Foundation.
· Lead the development of strategy and messaging for the Foundation’s civic leadership initiatives.
· Establish and cultivate relationships with civic leaders, elected officials, and audiences across the Greater New Orleans region and beyond, including foundations, government and community organizations, and media outlets.
· Amplify and advocate on public policy initiatives and issues that the Foundation has identified as strategic priorities.
· Act as a spokesperson for the Foundation in public-facing forums, including in the media and at events, preparing talking points and engaging staff as needed.
· Collaborate with staff to manage, produce and announce both live and recorded events.
· Remain continuously up to date on public affairs on both a local and national level.
- Outstanding communication and editing skills
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the Greater New Orleans community and the Foundation’s role in inspiring impactful philanthropy
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to both collaborate with and lead a team
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to work closely with outside vendors and monitor project budget, deadlines, and deliverables
- Demonstrated passion for DEI principles
- Independence, drive, and ability to multitask
- Strong creative problem-solving skills
- Strong technology capacity and proficiency, and desire to continuously learn and implement new technology as needed
- Agility around changing course and taking on new responsibilities when needed
Experience and Education
- Experience communicating complex, dynamic subjects clearly and for a variety of audiences
- Proven success as a leader in the non-profit, public sector, or corporate communications and public affairs roles
- Comfort and familiarity in engaging with the media and general public, including public speaking, writing press releases, and coordinating media events
- Experience working with and developing traditional and digital marketing collateral
- Experience working with and presenting to board members preferred
- Experience managing a team and developing budgets for various projects
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or equivalent post-secondary degree preferred
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in communications, marketing, public relations, public affairs, journalism, public policy, or a related field
Application Instructions and Additional Information:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. GNOF has retained trepwise, a New Orleans-based growth consulting firm, to lead the VP of Communications and Public Affairs search process. For more information, you may reach out to trepwise at the email provided above. Only complete applications will be considered.
Job posted: 2021-03-23