Vice President, Government Affairs
At Houston Methodist, the Vice President, Government Affairs is responsible for advocating Houston Methodist¿s position with regard to legislation and regulation that may impact its clinical, research or education operations. The VP, Government Affairs works with Executives, Management and administrative heads of business units across Houston Methodist to determine legislative priorities and regulatory impact. The VP, Government Affairs is responsible for leading the development, coordination and execution Houston Methodist¿s legislative agenda. The VP, Government Affairs will report to the Executive Vice President, Chief Legal Officer and Strategic and Business Development Officer of Houston Methodist.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
Learn more here
PEOPLE – 20%
1. Meet with Executives, Management and administrative heads of business units across Houston Methodist to formulate legislative and regulatory agenda at local, state and federal level in the clinical, education and research areas. (EF)
2. Meet with city, state and federal legislators and officials to communicate Houston Methodist¿s position and objectives. (EF)
3. Provide leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. (EF)
SERVICE – 20%
1. Serve as principle liaison with city, state and federal officials, legislators and regulatory officers. (EF)
2. Provide updates and presentations on legislative status. (EF)
3. Manage lobbying firms to achieve Houston Methodist¿s goals and objectives. (EF)
4. Drive department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the Government Relations department. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY – 40%
1. Monitor and report on legislative and regulatory matters, working through state and national associations and coalitions. (EF)
2. Work with clinical, research and education business units to evaluate the impact, establish the priorities and develop responses to legislation and regulatory matters. (EF)
3. Work within Houston Methodist to determine its position and prepare white papers and talking points on specific issues. (EF)
4. Seek government support for Houston Methodist¿s objectives. (EF)
FINANCE – 10%
1. Track lobbying expenditures for state and federal reporting requirements. (EF)
2. Identify funding opportunities at local, state and federal level for clinical, education and research programs at Houston Methodist.
3. Implements department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, developing others to do the same, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION – 10%
1. Work with associations, other health care institutions and other institutions to further Houston Methodist¿s legislative and regulatory objectives and priorities. (EF)
2. Stay abreast with city, state and federal activities. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Juris Doctorate (J.D.) or Masters degree in health or business-related field, i.e. MHA, MPH, MBA, etc.
o Seven years work experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Self-sufficient, organized and capable of functioning independently in rapidly changing circumstances
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: N/A
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
Job posted: 2019-08-09