Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President – Public Affairs
The National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC) has a new opportunity for Vice President – Public Affairs, overseeing the Public Affairs department. The Vice President – Public Affairs will provide leadership and management of the public affairs function of the association and membership through media and communications strategies. This individual will serve a critical role in positioning NAMIC, and by extension, the mutual insurance industry as the financial first responders for insurance consumers and will strategically elevate NAMIC’s reputation as the foremost advocate and thought leader for the mutual insurance industry. This person will advance NAMIC’s profile among policymakers, major national and local media outlets, and the broader insurance industry.
Essential functions include:
- Leading the association’s public affairs functions including development, implementation, and attainment for all strategic public affairs goals, objectives, plan initiatives, and communications.
- Effectively developing and managing direct reports to support areas of responsibility.
- Representing NAMIC as a spokesperson, point person on media, public affairs efforts, conferences, and member meetings.
- Collaborating across departments and with CEO to form and successfully advance the Association’s public policy and advocacy communication agenda.
- Establishing and maintaining a sophisticated network across media, member, and public engagement spaces to the benefit of NAMIC members and advocacy objectives.
- Identifying challenges/risks and emerging issues and trends faced by the industry that impact public affairs efforts; recognizing and taking advantage of unplanned opportunities.
- Developing and aligning both internal and external resources for public affairs efforts in terms of content, spokespersons, methods, and results; promotes efficiency and effectiveness in public affairs outcomes.
- Identifying and developing NAMIC’s key messages on macro and micro advocacy topics and enabling successful infrastructure to support such activity.
- Serving on the senior leadership team, advancing cross-organizational priorities in partnership with other departments within the organization.
- Simplifying messaging around complex insurance public policy issues by generating one-pagers, op-eds, talking points, other interview preparation, internal publications, and media statements.
- Creating department financial plans to maximize dollars spent; align and coordinate- with other departments whose budgets are impacted by PA; or departments whose plans will impact PA.
- Educating the organization and leadership on the role and advantages of public affairs; promoting the public affairs role and value to the association.
- Providing briefings and support at NAMIC Board meetings.
- Ten or more years in a public affairs or communications function, possessing a deep understanding and development advocacy communication strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations/affairs, communications, or related field is required. Advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Association and/or insurance industry background strongly preferred, but not required.
- Deep understanding of public policy making at state and federal levels and ability to develop advocacy communication strategies through earned and paid media as well as advocacy collateral.
- Experience managing a department of professionals and serving as a positive role model and mentor.
- Extensive planning, speaking, writing, editing, and proofreading experience with a variety of print and online communications media.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications and public/media relations program to advance an organization’s mission and translating strategic thinking into action plans and high-impact placements.
- Experience in a senior management role preferred, but not required.
- Ability to successfully pass a criminal background and MVR check.
NAMIC is proud to have been selected as a Best Places to Work! We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package with this full-time position. Benefits include access to group medical, dental and vision; a matched 401(k) plan; one paid day each year to volunteer with the charity of your choice; generous paid vacation; and more! We have a friendly yet professional work atmosphere where everyone enjoys working hard for the good of our members.
NAMIC is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected status.
Job posted: 2023-09-18