VP, Congressional Relations
The Health Industry Distributors Association (HIDA) is the trade association representing medical products distributors. HIDA members deliver essential medical products such as Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), testing supplies, infection prevention products and surgical supplies to the nation’s hospitals, nursing homes, laboratories, home care, and physician practices.
Established in 1902, HIDA is a leading voice on matters important to the healthcare distribution industry as well as the healthcare supply chain as a whole. HIDA offices are located in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia and operates on a 3 days in-office, 2 days remote schedule.
HIDA is seeking a VP, Congressional Relations to serve as the lead representative of it’s positions and policies before the U.S. Congress. This position is responsible for setting HIDA’s legislative agenda as well as developing and implementing strategies to achieve legislative goals. The key objective is to position HIDA, its members and the industry as trusted resources for legislative policymakers.
The VP, Congressional Relations reports directly to the President & CEO of HIDA. The position directly supervises the Director of Congressional Relations, provides direction to outside lobbyists and PAC management consultants. This position is also a key contributor to HIDA’s public affairs efforts and collaborates closely with the VP, Supply Chain Policy and Executive Branch Relations.
- Provides executive leadership to advance HIDA’s agenda on Capitol Hill.
- Collaborates with HIDA CEO, staff leaders, VP of Supply Chain Policy and members to set HIDA’s policy agenda to build on the public-private partnership on strategic supply chain issues.
- Develops and implements effective advocacy plans, strategies and tactics.
- Collaborates with HIDA’s CEO in coordinating and overseeing advocacy initiatives.
- Builds public affairs communications strategies and messaging to ensure effective education and information to policymakers.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with Members of Congress and their staffs.
- Manages preparation of informational and educational advocacy materials including one-pagers, talking points, infographics, letters, press statements, op-eds, and alerts.
- Co-manages the HIDA Advocacy Council with VP, Supply Chain Policy.
- Manages internal and external lobbyists, communications and public relations resources.
- Informs and educates HIDA member company executives through consistent and effective deliverables and communications.
- Serves as a subject matter expert by presenting at industry events, publishing in key media outlets and participation in HIDA Boards and Councils.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with member company executives, advocacy teams, allied groups and coalitions.
- Manages annual Washington DC Fly-in.
- Develops and implements HIDA PAC strategy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree in policy, healthcare, business or communications
- 10 years lobbying, public affairs experience, preferably in a healthcare setting
- Research / consulting / writing / Capitol Hill / PAC experience preferred
- Proven success overseeing and leading comparable functions, teams and budgets in association settings.
- Direct Capitol Hill or other government agency experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough understanding of congressional and cabinet policy-making processes, including the roles, and decision points in the US Senate and House as well as executive agencies.
- Demonstrated understanding of healthcare, business or related issues and the ability anticipate, quickly grasp and address public policy issues for the industry.
- Demonstrated success significantly influencing legislative outcomes in prior roles.
- Proven ability to conceive and execute effective political advocacy strategies.
- Outstanding oral, written and presentation skills.
- The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs into concise and credible messages to the highest levels of government and business.
- Effective relationships on Capitol Hill and in the Washington DC lobbying community.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to understand diverging points of view within the industry and quickly build consensus on strategy.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with key people and organizations.
- Ability to foster collaborative decision making for HIDA and its member companies on strategy and execution.
- The ability to work collaboratively as an integral part of an action-oriented team across multiple departments.
- Excellent prioritization and organizational skills; keen attention to detail, the ability to work under deadlines pressure while managing multiple projects and priorities.
- An understanding of the role of associations in representing industry.
- Strong supervisory skills, coaching/developmental approach to staff management.
- Commitment to demonstrating core HIDA work values per the Employee Manual.
- Good judgement and discretion.
- Projects a highly professional image in appearance, demeanor, communication and presentation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
HIDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Please send cover letter and resume to Recruiter@HIDA.org
Job posted: 2021-09-14